Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique PC in his final showdown

Fellow Passmarkers,
    I'm writing this post with some huge news for myself and some stressful results from Passmark Benchmarks.
    Nowadays I'm finally making the budged for my new workstation/gameship.

Since 2010 I've got those things:
    I7-870 (The grandpa of I7-8700)
    GA-P55-UD3R (rev. 1.0) - That's the main reason to get rid of the PC. Mobo with bootloop factory problem without anyway to fix. Getting worse and worse.
    MSI GeForce 970 (cute video card, last one was GeForce 580, but as anything else burned down)
    Kingston DDR3 8 gb 1333 mhz CL9
    WDC WD20EFRX - 2 TB red sata 3 WD

I've killed CM v10 cooler, V8 and one nameless with my lovely almost non-stop 3DS max renderings.

I'm Targeting those thingies:

I7-8700K + Noctua D15S (The one fan)
    Asrock Killer/SLI z370
    Corsair DDR4 32 GB 3000 mhz CL15
    SSD Samsung 960 NVME 250-500 GB

Main reason to draw this post is to cry a little. Passmark Benchmark results from my current rig points pretty low results on Video and Sata. Does there any chance I've broke them using them on my current status?

Can I expect much improvement once I've buy the new thingies?

You have a 9 year old CPU and a spinning hard drive. It should be no surprise to anyone that this isn't competitive with new hardware.

Yes, going to a M2 SSD will be night and day in terms of performance difference. Better RAM, more RAM & much faster CPU will also help.

Comment

Higher clock speeds are good, So 3200Mhz is slightly better than 3000Mhz.
      Lower latency is better than higher latency. So 15-17-17-35 is slightly better than 16-19-19-36.
      But the performance difference is so small that most users would notice it.

All that RAM looks like pretty standard DDR4 RAM & should work in any current desktop motherboard (excluding server class machines that use ECC RAM).

Comment

Working...
      X