Question regarding VPS CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding VPS CPUs

Hi all, newbie here. Hope someone can help me with my dilemma. I currently run a VPS (Web24) for 1 MT4 trading platform, however it runs like a dog frankly. Much lag and CPU maxing out. The CPU provided with Web24 VPS is an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 @ 2Ghz running 1 vCore. I can upgrade this to 4Ghz and 2 vCore.

Consequently, I'm looking at an alternative VPS (Hostwinds) that runs a Intel Core Processor (Haswell, no TSX) that is 3.6 Ghz and 1 vCore.

My question is would I be better off upgrading to the 4Ghz / 2 vCore with Web24, or, should go with Hostwinds with the 3.6Ghz / 1vCore? I know that the Web24 configuration looks better on paper but, like I said, I'm a newbie.
    I'm running a Netgear cable/wireless modem and my down/upload speed is 35+/1.1.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any advice

The E5-2620 is a 6 year old CPU. It has 6 cores available. So having 1/6th of the capacity of a 6 year old CPU isn't a very powerful package.

You need to know the CPU model numbers to make a comparison. Clock speed isn't a good indication of performance.

With a VPS you are also going to sharing the disk, RAM & Network as well. So the CPU isn't the only thing to consider. Dedicated hosts are better, then you get the full machine to yourself.

I should note that we have no idea what MT4 is. So we don't know how well it supports multthreading and how much is uses the disk & network.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply

Comment

Working...
      X