Core 2 Duo E6300 & E6700 test results - differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core 2 Duo E6300 & E6700 test results - differences

Tests were performed with Passmark 7.0 ...

After swapping in a E6700 to replace an E6300 (Core 2 Duo) CPU .. Passmark all tests results showed to be in the Low 300s ( tests were run twice) ..

Replacing the CPU again with the previous E6300 ... test results showed to be in the mid 500s ...

Swapping back to the E6700 all tests results now show to be in the Low 600s ...

One difference between the cpus is the multiplexer ..

The E6300 shows to be 7x while the E6700 shows to be 10x

Another difference noticed are the core temps ... using the core temp program

the E6700 appears to be running cooler ..

The min. temp starts in the mid to high teens (15c to 18c) with a heavier load remains in the low 20s ..

The E6300 shows minimum starts in the low 20s ... stays in the mid 20s range.

I have another computer with an almost identical system and motherboard using an E6400 cpu it's temps run from the high 30s to low 40s, both are running identical OS (WinXP ) ...

I think the ambient temperature may have something to do with the temperature difference.
    Last edited by denrecnoc; Jan-19-2013, 08:06 PM.

Your post doesn't seem to contain any actual questions.

But a few points anyway,
    - V7 is the old release of PerformanceTest

- I don't know if the 300 result is just for the CPUMark result, or the overall PassMark Rating, or all of the individual CPU results. I don't see how all the results could be 300 for all the different tests.

- It is hard to imagine how the 15C temp measurement is correct unless you are living in a freezer.

Comment

Sorry about not providing any actual questions ...

I am trying to discern the differences between the tests performed and if there might be something faulty with the cpu ..

The numbers posted were the approx. Passmark Rating from each test.

I should have posted the CPU mark results as well .. but was interrupted during early morning testing and had to leave for a while then come back .. it seems I forgot to save some of the tests results while switching cpus ..

(I will look around to determine if any of the results with the CPU mark, were saved from the original testing of the E6700 with a Passmark rating of around ~325)

The E6700 was purchased used .. to replace the E6300 ... when installed the first time it showed a Passmark rating around ~225 less than the E6300 ... I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the CPU.

I tried Passmark version 8.0 but there are some compatibility issues (I believe with the video) ... and the testing was incomplete. So I switched over to the 7.0 version.

Without the Cpu mark results ... it might be difficult to discern any problem with the CPU. The problem may have been something else other than the cpu, however nothing was changed either with the hardware or software other than the cpu and all of tests were performed within the same time period.

Tests results containing the cpu mark for the E6700 with a Passmark Rating of around ~325 .. seems to be missing ... haven't been able to reproduce similar results .. however after running more tests the cpu marks seems to stay near the same but the Passmark Rating varies quite a bit from the high 300s to the mid 700s .. consecutive testing the Passmark rating appears to be inconsistent. ... Perhaps there is some sort of conflict with the video or other components that is causing the inconsistent ratings ..

Current testing seems to be about normal ...

The last test using the E6700 has a Passmark rating of 718.8

With a CPU Mark of 1599.2

CPU - Integer Math 235.1
      CPU - Floating Point Math 649.5
      CPU - Find Prime Numbers 540.8
      CPU - Multimedia Instructions 4.6
      CPU - Compression 2943.0
      CPU - Encryption 8.4
      CPU - Physics 117.5
      CPU - String Sorting 1495.0
      Another test of the E6700 cpu (using the same pc - OS & hardware) with a Passmark rating of 389 ..

CPU Mark
      This Computer 1631.1

CPU - Integer Math
      This Computer 238.1

CPU - Floating Point Math
      This Computer 649.1

CPU - Find Prime Numbers
      This Computer 540.0

CPU - Multimedia Instructions
      This Computer 4.7

CPU - Compression
      This Computer 2941.7

CPU - Encryption
      This Computer 8.4

CPU - Physics
      This Computer 126.4

CPU - String Sorting
      This Computer 1632.9

E6300 with a PassMark Rating: 565.2 with a CPU mark of 1112.0

CPU - Integer Math: 163.9
      CPU - Floating Point Math: 446.7
      CPU - Find Prime Numbers: 371.1
      CPU - Multimedia Instructions: 3.2
      CPU - Compression: 2024.2
      CPU - Encryption: 5.8
      CPU - Physics: 79.8
      CPU - String Sorting: 1157.4

I guess there may have been something else within the system components that may have been causing the low Passmark rating with the newer processor ..
      Last edited by denrecnoc; Jan-20-2013, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
        Your post doesn't seem to contain any actual questions.

- It is hard to imagine how the 15C temp measurement is correct unless you are living in a freezer.
        Temperature readings using Core Temp ... the current min and maximum for the E6700 is 15c to 33c maximum ... shows to be running around 18c to 20c with a small cpu load.

Both computers are Thinkcentre M55 series with basically the same chipsets .. (One of the motherboards has some built-in security features and AMT bios functions)

The second M55 using an E6400 cpu Core Temp shows to be running around 35c ..

I suspect there may be something wrong with the temperature reporting and thought it was odd that even if the temperature is incorrect that lower temps are being reported with the E6700 installed vs slightly higher temps with the E6300 ..

I am not familiar enough with these boards to know how the temperature is being reported ... There is a case air temperature sensor located on the cpu fan positioned between the case fans and cpu ... that appears to be used to turn on and off the case fan ... effected from settings in the bios ..

After performing a test using Intel's Diagnostic Tool ... the cpu passed all of the cpu tests which takes approx. four mins. .. the results for the temperature test ..

--- Temperature Test ---
        Temperature Test Passed!!!
        Temperature = 51 degrees C below maximum.
        Last edited by denrecnoc; Jan-20-2013, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Yes, the CPUMark is the best number to look at when looking at CPU performance.

For the E6700, the average CPUMark result in V8 is, 1583

For the Core2 6300, the average CPUMark result in V8 is, 1099

These line up pretty well with your results. Despite your results being from V7 of the software. So I don't think there is anything wrong with your CPUs.

If you are only looking at CPU performance then there is no reason not to use V8 (even if you can't run the newer DirectX 10/11 3D tests).

If you are getting inconsistent overall results, for the PassMark rating, then you need to look at the individual results to see where the difference is. There is probably a good reason for the differences.

Again, it is hard to imagine how the 15C temp measurement is correct, unless you are living in a freezer and the ambient temperature is maybe 5C. If you aren't living in a freezer, then you can be sure the number is wrong. If the min value is wrong, then the max value is also surely wrong. But as you don't seem to be having a CPU problem, the temps aren't so important.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post

Again, it is hard to imagine how the 15C temp measurement is correct, unless you are living in a freezer and the ambient temperature is maybe 5C. If you aren't living in a freezer, then you can be sure the number is wrong. If the min value is wrong, then the max value is also surely wrong. But as you don't seem to be having a CPU problem, the temps aren't so important.

I haven't been living in a freezer as of yet ... however I do sometimes use a laptop e.g. in the mountains where average temperatures are below freezing. Their behavior sometimes becomes very strange where the PC and other electronics devices stop working altogether ..

One of my laptops has an internal hard drive heater. If a certain temperature is not met the laptop won't boot.

PCs and electronics are normally designed to operate within a temperature range. Most often are used within an even narrower temperature range for human indoor use. Perhaps in some ways limiting their functionaly.

___

I think there may be something fishy going on here with the E6700 reported temperatures.

From what I have read the core series processors temperature values are derived from a DTS (digital temperature sensor) located in each processing core. Temperature data is stored within special registers within the cpu as a delta value in °C between the current temperature and the Tjunction value given to the cpu ... The Tcase value for the E6700 (core 2 duo) is 60.1 C .

The Tj value for the Core Temp programing is 85 C ..

I am not sure what going on here perhaps the cpu was overclocked in the past and something is messed up with the registers and the programming is reporting incorrect values?

After setting the bios fan operation from normal to quiet mode I was able to raise the temperatures a little ... now running at a min of 21C with maximum 45C ...

Taking a look at the supported processors for the M55, some models may have came with an E6700 cpu while others don't list the E6700 as a supported cpu ... only Pentiums Ds through Core 2 Duo E6400 and E6600 ... this is old documentation perhaps the E6700 was never certified for some TC board versions. The E6700 may have been used more often in the M57 series TC.

So far the E6700 has passed different types of cpu tests thrown at it ...

After reinstalling the E6300 reported temperatures are higher ..

initially were around 29 C ... after a reboot setting fan acoustics to normal ...

reported Core Temp temperatures with a Tj max rating of 95c the E6300 is averaging around 31 to 34 deg C.

Speedfan shows an ambient temperature of 40c with a cpu temp of 31 C and 36c to 39c for cores one and two.

The core temps seem to be about right for this sort of processor (104 degrees F is seems to be bit high for an ambient temperature.)

Perhaps there is some sort of fault or incompatibility with the E6700 cpu ... or something else in the motherboard is effecting the temperature reporting.
            Last edited by denrecnoc; Jan-21-2013, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X