Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU/Mobo Fan problem?

Hello,

This is rather complicated but I'll try to explain as best I can. I had a Radeon 4850 fitted and 3 days ago I opened my PC to fit an extra Sata HD that I had laying around, 20 mins after I fit the HD the pc shut itself down. I powered on again and it shut down in 20 secs.

I waited 30 min, powered on and instantly loaded HWMonitor to check temps, my gpu temp was idling at 92c then 93,94,95.. it was going up. I shut down and opened the case again. Took out the card and made sure the fan was dust free and the card fitted ok.

I put it back in and watched carefully when I powered on, the fan WAS turning but only about 20% speed. I went into CCC and tried to adjust the manual fan control, I set it to 50% and hit apply.. no change, set it to 100%, no change.. set it to 0% no change!!?

I thought perhaps the fan controller in the card was broken so I took out the 4850 and fitted my older 4670 card. it was fine and since then (touch wood) the pc has been fine.

but...

Still, when I go into CCC and try to set the manual fan speed, although the computer says the speed has changed, it certainly hasn't changed. This fan is loud and no matter what I set it on, 0% or 100% it stays the same, idling speed.

I wondered if it was a software problem and today I uninstalled my graphics card drivers and downloaded and installed the latest ones from AMD.

No difference, I can set the manual fan speed but the fan itself has ZERO change. also I downloaded MSI Afterburner and tried to change the fan speed in that, and the software said the fan speed was changing but in reality it wasn't changing from idling speed.

PLEASE HELP!!

Any idea what is locking the fan speed at idle? I assumed fitting another card would change it but no. I'm very confused. any suggestions guys?

HWMonitor, CCC and Afterburner aren't our software, so you might want to contact the authors of these programs.

As a general comment however. Not all fans are speed adjustable &
    HWMonitor (and all software of this type) doesn't always read the correct temperatures. Getting correct temps is highly dependent on the hardware, so it is hard to write software that gets correct system information for all hardware. Did you try touching the heatsink on the video card with your finger to confirm overheating. At 95C you should have a burnt finger.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      HWMonitor, CCC and Afterburner aren't our software, so you might want to contact the authors of these programs.

As a general comment however. Not all fans are speed adjustable &
      HWMonitor (and all software of this type) doesn't always read the correct temperatures. Getting correct temps is highly dependent on the hardware, so it is hard to write software that gets correct system information for all hardware. Did you try touching the heatsink on the video card with your finger to confirm overheating. At 95C you should have a burnt finger.

Thanks, normally I'd ignore it but I know I used the manual fan control a few months ago when it was hot so I know both cards used it.

I didn't try touching the card when I first turned off, I had to give it at least 5 mins to cool down before I even attempted to touch it, you could feel the intense heat a foot away.

anyway, I think possibly a virus has killed my fan control now, not 100% sure but I think thats what caused it as I had a virus alert the day before.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X