Low CPU result i7-950 & i7-980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low CPU result i7-950 & i7-980

I just purchased your ver. 8 software. My system: Win 8. 64 bit. MB: Gigabyte X58-USB3, CPU i7 950 @ 2.07GHz BLOOMFIELD. All drivers current and it's a custom built machine. 24 G Ram.

TEMPS NORMAL.. and PASSED INTEL's test. Water cooled.

I have disconnected Internet.. turned off all background apps.. did not touch anything and the CPU's are abnormally testing low.

My CPU MARK is: 3003

It SHOULD BE: 5674

Also, I have a 980X extreme that should be arround 8000 and it marks at 3500 approx on my upstairs desktop.

What am I doing wrong? nothings overclocked or under clocked. all stress tested. I even checked the LGA 1366 results and still something's lagging the performance.

> CPU i7 950 @ 2.07GHz

The i7-950 should be running at 3.07Ghz. Not sure if this is a typo or you are really are unclocking the CPU.

To start with work through the list of items in this old post,
    Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

What are the temps like when under load?

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      > CPU i7 950 @ 2.07GHz

The i7-950 should be running at 3.07Ghz. Not sure if this is a typo or you are really are unclocking the CPU.

To start with work through the list of items in this old post,
      Causes and Solutions for a slow PC

What are the temps like when under load?

TYPO !!! it is running at 3.07

Comment

Yes, read your old post.. everything stated I have thought of and have a very clean PC.. the windows 8 is new. Again - my i7 950 3.07 ghz is marking at 3003 and should be 5674.

It has to be the Gigabyte motherboard perhaps? all drivers updated. again sorry for the typo.

Also, I have a duplicate machine upstairs running a i7 980x and marking very low scores of 3000 when it should be arround 8000. I really an starting to suspect something funny is going on with the Gigabite X58 boards and their drivers as all chips have PASSED the Intel test and if they were underclocked or overclocked they would fail the test as out of parameters.

Do you have any ideas? And there is no malware on the machines and registrys are clean.

Temps are 31 C starting.. 36 to 40C under stress on all 4 cores
        Last edited by ISA007; Jun-18-2013, 12:50 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

36 to 40C under stress on all 4 cores
          36C at full load is rather low. Unless ambient temp is about 0C. This also points to the CPU running slowly.

You haven't set the Windows "power plan" to energy saving have you?

Can you run all the tests, save a baseline file and Email us the file.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
            36C at full load is rather low. Unless ambient temp is about 0C. This also points to the CPU running slowly.

You haven't set the Windows "power plan" to energy saving have you?

Can you run all the tests, save a baseline file and Email us the file.
            No I made sure I checked the powerplan was 100% to Cpu

I will run all tests and send .. Thank you for helping me diagnose this issue.

Comment

After a bunch of offline EMail, the problem was finally resolved by switching the BIOS from 'default' mode into 'Turbo' mode.

Comment

PROBLEM: There are Intel i7 low CPU marks that some newbies might not be aware of causing freakouts. i7's have a technology called Enhanced Intel Speedstep (EIST) And due to some glitch in certain MBs your CPU will only power 1/2 by FREEZING the Base Clock multiplier in half of the CPU. No matter what you do the multiplier will be frozen and if you run Passmark's performance test you will get extremely poor CPU benchmarks. If you install CPUz and juice it with PRIME95 it will stay frozen and most will think they have a faulty MB! NOT TRUE - read on!

SOLUTION: My build is 2 computers Identical with a Gigabyte X-58 USB3 F5c (latest Beta Bios) - (note: Gigabyte swears by their betas and by policy never change them unless they fail according to their tech) i7 980x extreme cpu. BCLK is 133Mhz and was stuck on 12 multiplier on both computers.
                The solution - that is extremely hard to find - on Geek forum boards and came from trial and error is to go into your BIOS in these steps:

1: MB INTELLIGENT TWEAKER (MIT)
                2: ADVANCED FREQ SETTINGS
                3: ADVANCED CPU CORE FREQ.
                a: Enable Intel Turbo Boost technology
                b: Disable C1E (power saving feature)
                c: Disable C3/C6/C7 (power saving feature)
                d: Disable CPU Thermal Monitor ( THIS IS THE GLITCH in GIGABYTE MBs)
                e: Enable EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep)
                4: GO to ADVANCED MEMORY SETTINGS
                a: turn off TURBO ( NOTE: allow your Intel chip to adjust turbo - not MB)

NOW the final solution that most Custom builders don't do! TURN OFF COMPUTER AND PULL OUT PLUG (to make sure there are now random electrons with code glictching you) to make sure you have a CLEAN BOOT!

Then put windows in Balanced power allowing your processor to fluctuate.

When you turn on you will see the marvelous technology of EIST !!! Open CPUz and you will see it throttle down to low multipliers and throttle up to max TURBO MODE under stress !!! Base clock stays same and no overclocking needed! Run your WINDOWS IN BALANCE POWER EVEN and you will have a LONG LIFE CHIP. No bottlenecking in games with your GPU !!!

RUN PASSMARK AGAIN AND BLOW AWAY YOUR COMPETITION !

Comment

Working...
                X