GPU Performance vs. Dual Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Performance vs. Dual Monitors

I want to build a new scientific computing PC with GPU dedicated to basic matrix algebra routines (large matrix - vector multiplications and additions etc of double numbers).

For basic development purposes, I want a dual monitor system, which brings up a couple of basic questions that I cant find answers to:

1) does using the monitor output of a GPU card, while simultaneously computing, effect the overall performance spec of the GPU?

2) if the CPU has built in graphics - can one monitor be plugged in to motherboard, or do I need a GPU card with dual monitor outputs?

3) Will I see much difference between a 2GB vs 4GB card? How do I know how much memory will be optimal?

I'm considering a gtx 680 based card... any recommendations? How do different flavors/vendors of this chipset compare?

Thanks...

1) No. It shouldn't to any measurable degree.

2) Many integrated video cards now support dual monitors. So you could run all your monitors off the motherboard, then get something serious like a nVidia TESLA card, or the Intel Phi card, that doesn't even have a video output.

3) Optimal memory depends on the scientific calculations you are doing. (you don't need 2GB for a dual monitor desktop).

Comment

Working...
    X