CPU Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Question

Soo, as that time of the year comes around, I find myself in an awkward position. Today, the parts for my Computer Upgrade(Which I do basically every year at this time) arrived. 2 HIS 7970s, and oddly enough, a Phenom II, x4 970. After talking with my fiance, was handling the Upgrade to my desktop this year she reasoned that it had a higher single-threaded performance than my existing FX-8120. Me, being somewhat hardware-illiterate, only really needing a good CPU/GPU's for some Software Rendering that I do, along with gaming on the side(Nothing serious) would like to know if a Phenom II x4 970 really does offer a greater performance gain in single threaded applications vs a FX-8120. Right now I have hit a signifigant block with the Unity Engine for games, and apps to where I am unable to fit more than X Content on the screen(Say in Kerbal Space Program only 300~ Parts, compared to people with i7's that can fit upwards of 1,200 Parts).

Yes, the x4 970 is a funny choice for a 'upgrade'.
    You can find the single threaded performance chart here,
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
    The single threaded performance is near enough to identical to the FX-8120.

The current generation i7 CPUs are about twice as fast as a x4 970 in single threaded and faster again in multi-threaded tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Yes, the x4 970 is a funny choice for a 'upgrade'.
      You can find the single threaded performance chart here,
      http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
      The single threaded performance is near enough to identical to the FX-8120.

The current generation i7 CPUs are about twice as fast as a x4 970 in single threaded and faster again in multi-threaded tasks.
      Figures, its a marginal gain, and not really worth it. Newegg will not accept returns on it even though its unopenned, so I will find a use for it eventually. Looking at your charts though, its sad to see that the "High End" AMD CPU's are reaaaaaaaaally lagging behind in Single-Threaded Performance.

Comment

Working...
      X