Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does this ram score so much higher than the other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does this ram score so much higher than the other?

I am comparing laptops right now, and I like one, except the memory score.

Included in the screenshot, first RAM is 8GB, running at 2400mhz scoring 2500. The second RAM is 12GB, running at 2667mhz scoring just 1500. (Kind of strange it's a 2 sticks 4gb and 8gb?)

Why such a huge difference? And if I want to upgrade the ram of the 12GB computer to say 16 GB but of RAM that will perform just as well, if not better than the 8GB, what should I look for?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

In the case where you have the 4GB stick and the 8GB stick, the machine probably isn't running in dual channel mode. Which will hurt performance.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      In the case where you have the 4GB stick and the 8GB stick, the machine probably isn't running in dual channel mode. Which will hurt performance.
      Is that because the sticks are different sizes? Would the solution be buying another 8GB stick to replace the 4GB? It would have to be identical, or could be a different brand?

Comment

Sticks need to identical (or very near identical) for them to work in dual channel mode.
        It depends a bit on the particular BIOS as to how similar the sticks need to be. I don't know the exact criteria for determining a match. But I suspect capacity, speed, voltages and timings all need to match. General recommendation is to buy them as a pair.

Comment

Thank you. I checked the Lenovo product page, and can see that the 4gb is "onboard" apparently, so they must have added the 8gb. Basically, it's not possible to ever run RAM in dual channel mode on this machine? It's a Lenovo Flex 14
          Attached Files

Comment

Ok.. now I am really confused... And SPD doesn't display any info either...
            Attached Files

Comment

It actually isn't that uncommon for laptop manufacturers to get the RAM setup wrong. A classic example is that they ship the machine with 1x8GB instead of 2x4GB.
              So for it's whole life it runs in slower single channel mode. Likely they save a couple of dollars this way.

Lenovo also hides access to the SMBus on some machines, which is required to read the SPD data. Like they don't want you to know the full specs of the RAM. Conspiracy? I don't know. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
                It actually isn't that uncommon for laptop manufacturers to get the RAM setup wrong. A classic example is that they ship the machine with 1x8GB instead of 2x4GB.
                So for it's whole life it runs in slower single channel mode. Likely they save a couple of dollars this way.

Lenovo also hides access to the SMBus on some machines, which is required to read the SPD data. Like they don't want you to know the full specs of the RAM. Conspiracy? I don't know. Maybe.
                - But doesn't that CPU-Z screenshot say dual channel mode?

- How can I get this machine to run in dual channel, if it says one slot is onboard? Is it at all possible?

Comment

I am not sure about CPU-Z, you'll need to ask the developer. Not sure if that means the system is "capable" or dual channel. Or if it thinks dual channel is actual active at the moment.

In theory it doesn't matter if RAM is soldered or socketed. But I am not sure what Lenovo's BIOS allows in terms of getting into dual channel mode. You'll need to do some research or ask Lenovo.

Comment

Working...
                  X