AMD 3950X versus 10920X or 10940X or 10980X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 3950X versus 10920X or 10940X or 10980X

I realize that there are benchmark specifications on the Passmark website and I have relied on those specifications for years. I see that the 3950X is benchmarking much higher than the 10920X, the 10940X, and the 10980X; however, I am wondering if anyone has benchmarked the 3950X against any of those other processors for something other than gaming? For example has anyone used any other software package/distribution to compare the processors? My guess is that the 3950X is going to outperform the 10th Gen Intel processors, but I was wondering if anyone had any other input.

Thanks for the time and consideration.

If anyone else stumbled here as I did, there's a few useful videos on YouTube from Linus, Hardware Unboxed, and GamerNexus, etc.

The reviewers weren't happy with Intel's behaviour, but needless to say, you're correct, the Ryzen 3950x is mostly faster than the flagship Intel i9-10980x, while being far more power efficient.

Pretty interesting / unusual times: to see Intel's 10980x - despite having 2 extra cores than the Ryzen 3950x - the AMD chip still manages to outperform it in productivity, while consuming less power!

Comment

PerformanceTest itself has 9 different sub-tests that make up the CPUMark.
      So you can compare these two CPUs yourself across a range of algorithms by loading up Baselines from our database and then graphing them.

There are a few screen shots below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SingleThread10980XE.png
Views:	1929
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	47042

Click image for larger version

Name:	PerformanceDifference.png
Views:	1813
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	47043

Comment

That encryption result above is so extreme it deserves some explanation.

The Encryption Test encrypts & hashes blocks of random data using several different encryption techniques. The methods used are AES, SHA256 and ECDSA.

Recent CPUs have built in hardware acceleration for AES and SHA. Both the Intel 10980X and AMD 3950X support AES acceleration. But the 10980X doesn't support SHA acceleration, while the 3950X does.

This is a bit of a strange situation because Intel started doing SHA (SHA1 and SHA256) acceleration in 2016 in their Goldmont CPU core. And started talking about it in 2013. We kind of assumed that most Intel CPUs released after that date would also include this feature. Especially high end flagship models.

But it seems the Intel 10980X, released at the end of 2018, is based on Skylake CPU cores from 2015. And so doesn't support SHA hardware acceleration. Not having the SHA feature means it gets (unexpectedly) smashed in this test.

Comment

Working...
        X