Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underperforming GPUs

Hello everyone,

I've been shopping for a new GPU lately, as I though it was time to change my GeForce 780, even though it was benching 8800 on the benchmark test. Yes, it was a 780 benching as much as a 780ti, somehow.

I first checked for refurbished 1070ti and bought one from a store. Arriving home, the 1070ti was benching 10200 on the passmark 3d test, which is far under average for this GPU. I can usually expect 12200. So I thought to myself that the problem is probably because it's a refurbished GPU. I called the store and they switched my GPU for another one they had. Arriving home: exact same problem. The other 1070ti was benching 10200.

So I asked for a refund and searched for something brand new and unused instead. I went out and bought a 2070S. You can expect 14900 on the passmark test with this. Turns out that it benches 12300.

At this point I am starting to think that something in my computer is preventing full capacity of my GPU, but I don't know what's causing it.

I was maybe suspecting the drivers to be faulty. I installed all the useless stuff the CDs that came with it had to offer, without success. I also tried to overclock it a bit, but only got +300 points. At this point I'm suspicious that my power supply is not good enough but I'm clueless. A friend of mine thinks my motherboard may be the problem.

Specs:

OS: Windows 10 64 bits (I bought it so it's a clean OS)
    motherboard: ASRock X99M Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i7-5820k @ 3.30GHz
    Memory: 2x 16GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-21300
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
    Power Supply: EVGA 600 B1 BRONZE 600W

i7-5820k is a 6 year old CPU.

I had a look at the result we have for the 5820k and 2070 combo. Median result is around 13,000 from around 50 submissions.

For the 5820k and 2070 Super combo it is very rare. Only a few submission for this pair. But for those few, results scores were 10,300 to 14,400. Not enough results for an accurate average or median.

For the 5820k and 1070ti combo, median is around 12,400. But this includes a bunch of overclocked machines. Excluding the overclocker pulled the media down to more around 11,500.

So your results are maybe a little low. Maybe that 1070ti was actually a plain 1070 ?

Isn't the i7-5820k a quad channel RAM CPU. And you are only running 2 channel RAM?

Comment

Yeah I have two other RAM sticks but I'm not sure they're even compatible, the Mhz is different (2133 vs 2666 for my 16GB) and they're only 4GB DDR4 sticks.

Should I try them and see if it changes anything if it doesn't explode?

Also, can someone change how the computer will see the GPU? I mean on the PerformanceTest software it was written 1070ti. Is it possible that they took a 1070 and somehow changed it to 1070ti?

Comment

So I benched my 2070S again today and got a result of... 9941. I'm speechless on how bad it's performing at this point.

Comment

Quad channel RAM should have 4 matching sticks.
          But if you are sure you are currently in dual channel mode with XMP, then going to 4 channel isn't going to add much, maybe just a few %.
          If however you are in single channel mode without XMP, then the step up to 4 would be significant.

Comment

Working...
          X