Reason for high RAM latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason for high RAM latency

Hey I'm new here and I tested my cheapo custom built computer just to see how it would do and I'm getting king of high latency results that I would like to understand.

So here are the revelent specs for my computer:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
    RAM: 2x2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X (F3-14900CL9D-4GBXM) 9-10-9-27, 888.9Mhz, 1.5V
    CPU: FX-6200 Vishera 6 cores @~3.5ghz

=Memory Tests Results=

Memory Mark: 1165
    Database Operations: 45
    Read Cached: 14666
    Read Uncached: 6471
    Write: 4956
    Available RAM: 2265
    Memory Latency: 59.7
    Memory Threaded: 18556

Thanks!

The AMD CPUs always have bigger latencies. More than double on average.

Comment

Good thing I mentioned my CPU then. I wasn't sure if it had any impact on the results.

So, why is it that they cause higher latency? Is that the price to pay ... for using the lower cost CPU brand?

Is it kind of ruining the whole point of having 1800MHz RAM? (well, either way I'd have slower latency so might as well have better RAM..)

Oh and just a question like that: My ram is clocked at 888MHz .. so, to get 1866MHz shouldn't be more 930mhz per module? I had to fiddle a bit around with my RAM to get it to work with these timings because natively it worked only at 1600Mhz. I figured when I got those timings working that I'd get the right frequency but it seems not. Any suggestions?

Comment

Is it kind of ruining the whole point of having 1800MHz RAM?
        Yes maybe.
        Onboard video chips often actually push the RAM harder than the CPU. So if you are using an integrated video card then faster RAM can give higher 3D frame rates.

Comment

Working...
        X