Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i7 3770k 7821 on v10 vs 11229 on v9 CPU score; Should I update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i7 3770k 7821 on v10 vs 11229 on v9 CPU score; Should I update?

Hello,

My 3770K runs at 4.4Ghz on air for a CPU score of 11229 vs 15976 of the 8700K on V9 test (42% faster)but the newer v10 test gives me a CPU score of 7827 (2451 single thread) vs 13852 on the 8700K (76% faster)

I am one of those who was quite surprised about the low score of older CPUs on new V10 test. I updated to the 3770K from a Q9550 on 2013 for more than twice the performance (3.5x performance on V10 test) and I was holding the update for another 2X gain but with this new test the gap between newer vs older CPUs has grown quite a bit.

Main advantage of newer CPUs seems to be AVX2 vs AVX, that for same core count, as cache seems to be same per core (2MB)

I use the computer for music production with Ableton Live 10; which I do not know if uses AVX2 instructions, but even if it does I wonder if it would make a big difference.

I use a silent GT 1030 GPU, so I do not care about the embedded GPU.

I was waiting for intel to release the new architecture, which may still be away a couple of years; I considered Ryzen CPUs but as most pro Audio apps main market
    are Apple computers I would prefer an intel CPU because of maybe less cross platform issues (my guess)

Should I consider updating or does waiting for intel to release its new architecture make any sense? I could also get a second hand 8700K or such in between...

Regards
    Javier

The 8700K is a ~3 year old CPU. If you are going to upgrade to a new machine, there are better options.

The 8700K has more cores, but does your tasks in the Ableton software actually use 6 or more cores? If not, then I would think there is very little point in upgrading as the single threaded performance advantage is much smaller.

Comment

I want to keep low TDP if possible; newer intel CPU seem to go up to 125W TDP. I am considering a Ryzen system but they seem to have some latency issues (regarding audio) and some problems with low buffer sizes. Also intel still seems to be on top for single core performance and IPC. Ryzen 7 3700X single core score is 2682 vs 2451 on my OC 3770K.
      Ableton live needs good single core performance for some tasks and also benefits from multicore set ups
      This year AMD will announce its Zen 3 processors, promising better IPC..I may wait for that. A 50% single core and 100% multicore improvement is what I am waiting for..

Comment

Working...
      X