Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX 780 DirectCompute System Crash

Hi,
    I recent Purchased a Gigabyte Gtx 780 3gb and installed it with no problem. after a few hours of gaming use (Battle Field 3 @ Ultra Preset), my system crashed and after a 1 second delay restarted (no error message). Now, Every time I play BF3 I crash after 5-10 minutes in game. The same crash Also Happens when I run the DirectCompute Performance Test Benchmark so I have an Idea that the crashes are related.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3
    CPU: Intel i5 750 @ 2.67GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (Gygabite OC Edition)
    PSU: 750w (forgot model)

Thanks for your help.

Stupid question, but it has to be asked. Did you download and install the latest video card device drivers?

If the crash is always after 5 to 10min use, did you check the temperatures in the system. Maybe the new card is overheating itself, or maybe ramping up the general temperature in the box?

Comment

The Temperature does not get above 50 Celsius before crashing, yes I did install latest Drivers and I have also contacted Gigabyte who told me to try a certain driver which didn't work.

I did notice though that the DirectCompute test runs for about half a second before the system crash

Comment

There is no known compatibility problem with these cards and we have many thousands of results from the GTX 780. So it isn't a common problem that effects all 780 cards. Might just be a bad card.

Do you have a access to another machines that you can test the card in? e.g. a friends machine?
        Do you have any another games to try, especially newer ones with DX10/11 support.

Comment

I tried putting it in my dad's machine but it wouldn't get past the Bios graphic, just to rule out a power problem I'm going to get a new power supply pretty soon (was going to anyway) this time a modular one.

the odd thing is that it STARTS the Direct Compute test but crashes half a second into it, which makes me think it might be a problem with the video ram...

Comment

Okay so I tried underclocking the card using Gigabytes OC guru (not sure why i didn't try that earlier) and the programs ran for slightly longer (5-10 seconds) than they did before so I'm thinking its a faulty card and I'm gonna RMA it when i get the chance

Comment

Hey, some questions:
              What was the old card?
              Could you look up the PSU please? (I hope it wasn't designed for Pentium 4's)
              Is it connected with both 6pin and 8pin?
              Tried a different PCI-E Slot?

This could be power related, but I think the graphics card is more likely.
              Could you maybe test it in an other system?

Comment

Working...
              X