Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Passmark Hard Drive tests not separated into SSD and HDD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Passmark Hard Drive tests not separated into SSD and HDD?

Why does Passmark still not separate Hard Drive tests into SSD and HDD?
    I cannot find the HDD Im looking for anymore. The most mainstream common brands and sizes yet I see is lists of obscure SSDs that have nothing to do with HDD any more.

If Passmark insists that they should all do lumped in together they should at least have a way of just searching for HDD separately.

I need to update my NAS and I get no search results for any combination of the main brands of NAS HDD drives!

You can try the Mega Page and filter with HDD. There will be some misclassification however. The determination of SSD is through reading of SMART data from the drive. Some report incorrectly or we are unable to determine if they are. We have over 40,000 raw drive identifiers in our database and that gets filter down (combining duplicates, removing erroneous entries, etc) to around the 5500 that are shown on our charts. Mostly it is cleaned up with scripts, but we don't have the manpower to go through the thousands of benchmarks submitted daily to verify the model number/classification. We will from time to time manually go through the charts and fix entries as needed.

https://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd-mega-page.html

For NAS, you can probably look at the Large Drive Chart and look for the large separation between Disk Rating. This will usually indicate where the transition from SSD to HDD are. E.g. starting at WDC WD40EFRX

https://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/large_drives.html

Comment

Does anyone buy a HDD for it's performance anymore?
      You buy a HDD for only two reasons, price and capacity. If performance was even a small consideration, then you wouldn't buy a HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
        Does anyone buy a HDD for it's performance anymore?
        You buy a HDD for only two reasons, price and capacity. If performance was even a small consideration, then you wouldn't buy a HDD.
        Truth. SSD and even Nvme drives are easily affordable these days. It's like comparing a 2400 baud modem to broadband.

Comment

Working...
        X