New Intel i9 build - advice selecting a model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Intel i9 build - advice selecting a model

I am new to this forum, but have been building computers for almost 35 years now, and I also work in IT for my day job. I am planning to upgrade an old rig to Intel i9 for my main desktop and looking for some advice on CPU selection.

USAGE (listed in order of most important):
    Heavy multi-tasking of productivity apps - 100+ browser tabs open + a dozen or so programs (ex. Office, Slack, Teams, etc)
    Live streaming - about once a month
    Video editing - about a dozen videos per month, about 1 hour each
    Virtual Machines - about 1-2 times per month, sometimes running multiple VMs at once (move to containers at some point)
    Gaming - 2-4 hours a week, latest games

OTHER NON-CPU COMPONENTS:
    BOARD: Asus ROG Z490 - exact model TBD
    RAM: 64GB Corsair Veng Pro
    VIDEO: RTX 2080 Ti
    BOOT: NVMe Samsung 980 PRO, 1TB

CPU OPTIONS:
    I am not looking to do any crazy overlocking, other than what might be natively available as "turbo" I will be using a Noctua cpu cooler (had my fill with liquid-cooled)
    Now I am looking to purchase one of the following (list is limited only to i9 + under $600)

CPU - Passmark - Price
    i9-10900K - 24,181 - $530
    i9-7920X - 23,338 - $470
    i9-10850K - 22,535 - $487
    i9-10900 - 21,289 - $470
    i9-9900K - 18,876 - $350

Then there is the i9-10980XE which can be found for $650, which seems expensive but is currently ranked the fastest i9 processor on the board at a whopping score of 34,264. Considering that score, it seems that price is a great value, when limiting comparison to i9 only. Only issue is it won't run on a Z490, so need to go even more expensive on the board, which does not appeal to me. Reviews on that cpu were not very good... am I missing something here?

THE QUESTION!
    Considering the above 6 processors + my use cases, what potential advantages can I expect to see between them, given the other components all remain the same?

Example potential benefits:

Gaming on the 10900K vs. the 9900K will gain me 20 fps more
    Video editing - will be 10% faster on 10900K vs. 9900K
    Multi-tasking will be smoother...
    .... and so on

Probably any of those CPUs would do the job fine.
    I'd not try and max out the number of cores, and instead look a 8 to 12 cores with high single thread performance (as most software doesn't scale to large numbers of threads)..So maybe the 10900.

Comment

Thanks! So basically, any performance difference between these 6 would not be noticeable? I gotta believe the i9-10980XE at a score of nearly double the 9900K would definitely be noticeable, especially with video editing/processing.

Comment

Best chip depends a LOT on which particular software package you use most of the time.

Actually if it was me I would wait a week or two and see what the new Zen 3 chips are like. Even if you only wanted an Intel chip, it might force the prices down a bit more.

Comment

Yes, I agree.... that's why I am patiently waiting/watching.... ideally would like to upgrade by end of Nov, but could stretch that to end of year if I had to.
          10980XE would be a great buy at $500, or else a 10900K for $400
          I just don't know the first thing about boards for the XE

Comment

Working...
          X