Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarks and Computer Purchase help

Hi,

I regularly show CPU and Video benchmark to my computer students when talking about buying a PC. However, I was thinking there must be some way to correlate the data with specific PC systems and give them an aggregate score. I saw that the website has PC benchmarks, with system specs, but it doesn't list WHERE to buy those systems, just hardware specs.

I think it would be cool to have either one of these things:

1 - a list of benchmark scores with links to purchase the PCs, including data that has the "Best Value" price to points ratio.

OR

2 - A way to submit a link that can be parsed and a score calculated for different PCs listen online. You submit a URL, it scans for CPU and Video card specs, and spits out a PC score.

Thoughts? Is there something like this that maybe I've missed?

It would be a hard job to track all the PC systems on sale around the world and keep it accurate and up to date.

Many of the parts we list are also no longer available as new, or were never available in any pre-built system. At any one time companies like Dell might only be selling systems a dozen different CPUs from the 1000s of CPU models available. (Apple might only stock half a dozen at any one time).

For suggestion 2), I don't think it is possible to get an accurate rating for the entire machine from just the CPU and video card. RAM, hard drive and other factors are also somewhat important. Auto parsing a page also isn't easy once some options are introduced. e.g. different amounts of RAM or different hard drive options.

Having said that, there is probably more that we can do with the existing data we have got. We have other development priorities at the moment however.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply. I realize it wasn't an easy thing, but I was hoping maybe you had something like that somewhere and I was just missing it.

Comment

Working...
      X