Applications vs Benchmark Score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applications vs Benchmark Score

For the most part, I understand the results from my benchmark score. My question is, how do I determine where my build is coming up short as far as what I use my PC for and how do I improve? I built this PC in Feb 13' for video editing up to 1080p. By looking at the benchmark scores, I have no basis as far as what they score means relative to real world applications. My score was 1953. Just looking for some opinions and suggestions to help me better understand my results and if I even need to improve on anything. Thanks.

If video editing is the main task for the PC, then lets consider what happens when you edit a video.

Your editing software needs to read and write the video file to disk. Plus there would be seeking to positions within the file(s). So this maps to the disk benchmark in PerformanceTest.

The videos probably aren't a 3D render. So you can totally ignore the 3D results in PerformanceTest.

You'll probably be re-encoding videos into different formats and adding special effects. Mostly this is CPU dependant. But some editing software can also use the GPU. So you need to check how the software works to really determine what is important for your particular editor.

Also editing software will probably be mostly single threaded, but some might be multi-threaded for heaver tasks. Examining how your software works will tell you what is important. It might be that the tasks that are taking you the longest to perform are single threaded. In which case the single thread benchmark result is the most important.

The 2D results might also be somewhat important if you are trying to skip through a video at high speed.

Comment

Working...
    X