Passmark Inline PSU Test Result: EVGA Supernova G+ 1600W 80Plus Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passmark Inline PSU Test Result: EVGA Supernova G+ 1600W 80Plus Gold

For the first time with this testing tool, I am testing a brand new EVGA Supernova G+ 1600W 80Plus Gold before installation into an Intel-based system. I ran the standalone test (as opposed to the inline test) with the PassMark Inline PSU tester and it shows failures. To rule out a faulty meter, I ran the test with a SeaSonic 620W in an identical testbed configuration which revealed no issues. I checked with a couple otherwise cheap PSU all-in-one testers and they came up "green" across the board

Is it possible a different wire/port configuration could clear this (aka could I have hooked it up wrong)? Is the fact this PSU has an ECO mode (albeit I tried it off amd pm) could be giving a false positive? Are there more specifics that can be determined from the log failure? I would prefer not to fully install the PSU and run the inline test until I feel confident there isn't a problem that can lead to more failures

Thanks for any input / advice

Note the following is a snapshot in time: values were fluctuating and the ripple went green to red.
    EVGA Supernova G+ 1600W

I would like to think this log is noting the largest values/deviations because it's not live-recorded: I have to press "Save Report" to get it. I could be wrong?
    Log File for EVGA Supernova G+ 1600W 80PlusGold

Sometimes PSUs can technically fail (as in the sense they don't comply with the PSU standards) but they still work OK. It is unlikely you have hooked it up wrong as there isn't much to adjust on a PSU and the modular cables are usually keyed to their correct socket.

For example the 40mv ripple on the 5V line.
    1) Most motherboards would very likely deal with this fine and
    2) In standalone mode the PSU isn't under a huge load. (as we can't dump 1000W into a hand held device). So the ripple might change, for better or worse, under a more typical load. The definition of ripple in the standard is also vague and not precisely defined.

Similar story for the sequencing (which relates to the order at which voltages appear on each wire). Some PSUs might technically fail or be marginal, but the majority of motherboard will probably deal with it fine.

Text report looks funny however. I assume most value are near zero as the PSU-Tester was not actively taking measurements when the report was done. Maybe it is possible in the text report to include more details of the sequencing failure.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Text report looks funny however. I assume most value are near zero as the PSU-Tester was not actively taking measurements when the report was done. Maybe it is possible in the text report to include more details of the sequencing failure.
      Thank you for taking the time to respond. I feel more comfortable proceeding to perform Inline testing of this PSU and compare with Inline testing of the currently installed (failed?) model I intended to replace.

Next time I will save the report before the tester turns off:

One more thing: the following was what stood out during minimal load testing: failure of 5V V-Seq. Can this be safely ignored, unless it reappears during an inline test?

When idle
      Click image for larger version  Name:	idle-total.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.2 KB ID:	50011

After turning on while applying ~3W of load
      Click image for larger version  Name:	powered-up-total.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	50012

Click image for larger version  Name:	powered-up-Vseq.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	50013
      Last edited by Santa Lurks; Feb-13-2021, 11:08 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

The +12 VDC and +5 VDC output levels must always be equal to or greater than the +3.3 output during power-up and normal operation. Sometimes noise and ripple when turning on the power supply leads to this failure. Again, this might not happen in inline mode when the PSU is under a more typical load.
        The PSUTester is very sensitive in detecting this failure when compliance mode is set to strict mode. Can you please change the compliance mode from strict to loose and try again to see if the failure occurs?

Comment

Working...
        X