Recommendations for building a CAD and Graphic Arts machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for building a CAD and Graphic Arts machine

I'd like some advice on building a CAD and Graphic Arts computer, I occasionally do photogrametry work which is very CPU intensive.. I understand that Single Thread Speed is the most important for CAD, and multiple cores is important for rendering. The questions I have are:
    1. I'm wondering if it matters if I build on a gaming mother board or on a work station MOB?
    2. Does it mater if I'm using a CAD graphics card or a "gaming" graphics card?

The system I'd build based on what I see in the bench marks looks something like this:
    CPU: i9-11900K
    MOB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO
    GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
    M.2: 2T Samsung
    Ram: G Skill Intl F4-4000C18

I'm sure this would be an awesome machine, but do all the pieces work well for CAD and Graphics work? Would something else make it better within the same price range?

Workstation board might be good if
    • You want ECC RAM.
    • You want a huge amount of RAM
    • You want to install a large number of hard drives
    • You want to install multiple video cards
    • You want dual CPUs (this is a lot less important nowadays with high core counts in single CPUs).
    Gaming graphics card should be OK as long as all the software you are planning on using supports it (and they should).

Comment

Originally posted by BridgeBurner View Post
      I'm sure this would be an awesome machine, but do all the pieces work well for CAD and Graphics work? Would something else make it better within the same price range?
      What exactly is that "CAD and Graphics"? In most Autodesk software what counts the most is the single core CPU performance (because they are not very well multithreaded). Also, that 3080Ti is a waste of money for AutoCAD and even Revit. I found out that a Quadro card works much faster than a gaming GeForce card - when they are at the same spec level, not the same price range.
      And at some point there are no returns for "better" graphics cards, CAD is not like gaming. A Quadro P2000 or P2200 is more than sufficient for pro level CAD work.

Comment

Working...
      X