Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between CPU Mark and Single Thread Benchmark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between CPU Mark and Single Thread Benchmark?

Hello, I have been using Passmark's site now for several months for all of my PC needs and I love the site, but I do have three questions:

What Does the CPU Mark Represent?
    What Does the Single Thread Benchmark Represent?
    Are the two related in any way?

You can find a description of the tests here,
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_test_info.html

Comment

I have a similar question, and yes I have seen the test info page. I am torn between i7 5820 and 4790. The 5820 is much faster in the Passmark test BUT the 4790 has DOUBLE single thread score. They are similarly priced. Which is the better option for average vanilla programs and the average Joe? Sorry if this is classed as a stupid question but a gentle answer would be appreciated!

Comment

the 4790 has DOUBLE single thread score
        No, that's not right.

The 4790 has a single threaded score of 2,301
        The 5820K has a single threaded score of 1,995
        Which is only a 13% difference.

The 4790 has a high turbo clock speed, but also much higher power usage (TDP). 140W vs 83W.

Both are overkill of the average Joe user.

Comment

Thanks. This site says 2533 ST for 4790@4ghz or 25% faster than the 5820. Accepting your points about power and average Joe, would the 4790 actually be faster in normal use than the 5820?

Comment

Originally posted by Finman View Post
            Thanks. This site says 2533 ST for 4790@4ghz or 25% faster than the 5820. Accepting your points about power and average Joe, would the 4790 actually be faster in normal use than the 5820?
            Yes 4790 is faster for normal use like gaming this completely depends on the gpu's you want.

Comment

Working...
            X