AMD Ryzen 7 5700U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 5700U

The AMD Ryzen 7 5700U has a basic clockspeed of 1,8 GHz and turbo 4,3, whereas the Intel i5-3470S (year 2012) has a basic clockspeed of 2,9 GHz and turbo 3,5. However, the AMD processor has a CPU-Mark of 16215, rank 363, single thread 2623 and the Intel processor has CPU-Mark 4336, rank 1264, single thread 1895. The AMD processor has 38% less basic speed than the Intel one, but the AMD one has a far better CPU Mark and ranking. I'm at a loss and I don't understand at all. Consequently, I doubt very much buying a new PC with the AMD Ryzen 7 5700U processor with less clockspeed than my old PC of 2012!!! Who can help me solve this problem. Thanks a lot. Kind regards. Noel

Clock speed is not the only thing you need to take a look at when comparing CPUs. The higher the CPU clock speed does not necessary will indicate more powerful processor. Clock speed can be useful to predict the performance of CPUs of the same architecture in the same generation, but you are comparing a CPU that is decade old to one that is recently released. The clock speed race has stagnated and is mostly a relic of the past, otherwise Pentium 4 with 5+ GHz clock speed will still be king. Instead of pushing for higher clock speeds, CPU developers looked at other areas to improve, e.g., more cores or newer technology, features, optimization.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3470sv5700u.png
Views:	20242
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	52525

Comment

Thanks a lot for your convincing explanation, but a lot of sellers are still attaching a lot of "over"-importance to processor speed, whereas there are many other new determining factors as you mentioned. Kind regards. Noel

Comment

Working...
      X