Help Understanding Differing CPU benchmarks for i7-11800H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Understanding Differing CPU benchmarks for i7-11800H

I have three Lenovo Legion 7s. All three have an i7-11800H CPU. All three are the same model have the same specs except for the GPU. One has an RTX 3060 and the other two have RTX 3070s. I replaced the memory in the 3060 with 64GB of dual rank RAM. Both 3070s have the factory installed 16GB of single rank RAM. All three laptops have clean installs of Windows. The 3060 is running Windows 10, one 3070 is running Windows 10 the other is running Windows 11. All Windows installations are up to date. The laptops are running in performance mode and using the same power profile. I'm running Performance Test version 10.2

The problem is the Prime and Physics CPU benchmark results for both 3070s are always 30-45% below the results for the results for the 3060 laptop.

Prime Results:
    3060 = 118
    3070 = 76
    Physics Results:
    3060 = 1266
    3070 = 718

Both 3070s always have slightly lower results for all the other tests but the difference is minor.

Does this indicate a problem with these CPUs or is there something about these two tests that sensitive to system memory?

Any help in understanding this difference would be appreciated.

All the tests use RAM (and cache). CPU can't run otherwise.

But yes, these two tests use more RAM, so they are less likely to be cached and are more sensitive to the main RAM speed. For example, Single channel vs dual channel can make a difference. But that is a big difference you are seeing. I would have expected something more around 10% to 20% difference. Maybe that 16GB stick was really slow RAM.

Comment

Working...
    X