E5-1680v3 Haswell-E Monster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E5-1680v3 Haswell-E Monster

Just wanted to update my first submitted score for the (currently unlisted) beast of a CPU I recently installed in my new 3D workstation.
    I will attempt to add the new benchmark file to this thread, but wanted to share some info here that doesn't show up in the charts. Honestly, there is little information at all about this processor:
    Intel E5-1680v3 # CM8064401547809
    Multi-Threaded performance: 20,921 @ 4.3GHz, (stable, Prime95 1hour stress test max. temp 72°C)
    Single-Threaded performance: 2,696
    Highest VID was 1.300, max cpu power was 209.6W.
    assigned cpu multipliers "per core" to allow single / dual thread tasks higher clocks (x46), yet limiting the multi-threaded apps to the lower x43 multiplier.
    Hyper-V was enabled for the tests, but have not turned virtualization on (yet).
    The CPU is being cooled by a CLC from Corsair (H105), but have the more substantial H240x from Swiftech due to arrive next week, which will surely allow for even greater speed.
    Other notes: the Kingston DDR4 ECC memory pulls up to another 100W, thermal peak @61°C
    the CPU temps are typically <30°C "idle", while the memory stays >39°C

Baseline number was 390399 for my latest test, first test baseline was #385106
    As we now have three different systems (#375664,#379249 were the other two) posting results for this processor, would it be added to the high end charts? Only able to see it listed as #2 on the Overclocked charts, but clicking the link for this cpu from that page dumps you to the CPU list

The high end charts are average results. So they aren't individual results from single machines.

Also the high end chart doesn't include overclocked results like yours. These go into the overclocked charts.

At the moment we don't seem to have any valid benchmark results for the E5-1680v3, running at stock speeds.

Comment

If it would be of use, I can set the system to base clocks and run a full test.
      (but, couldn't imagine why anyone would pay over $1700 for a 1U processor and leave all that extra horsepower untapped....)

Comment

People buy Xeons for enterprise tasks generally. So reliability, stability & warranty are much more important. One crash and $1000s of dollars can be lost if it is a server.

I was talking to someone from Amex a few years ago. They can lose a $1M / minute if they are offline.

Comment

Agreed, but most servers aren't using single socket 140W processors. Seem most low core count servers are using the 1620, 1630, even the 1650, but not too many 1660's or 1680's...If building a server requiring more than 6 cores, should not pick the E5-1660 or 1680, but instead go for the 2600 series, as they support scaling out to include a second processor and support another set of 8 ram slots.
          This should be a workstation processor, used in business by trained professionals... Reliability is still important, but performance is also very important. Compute time is important, would highly doubt the person running the $5000 workstation is making minimum wage... Most discussions regarding this cpu are by other professionals who also require very high memory density only available with ECC memory, which is only supported by the Zeon cpus.
          I don't think the workstation use case for a 1600 series Zeon is all that uncommon... Currently running another 3D workstation with the E5-1660, it has been stable 24x7 for two years, OC'd and air cooled. Most CAD workstations sold by HP and Dell are using Xeon processors, which is where the warranty-minded folks will be buying their workstations. Since they will not be custom building the PC,the warranty-me crowd isn't likely spending much time pouring over passmark ratings- they will buy based on the pitch from the sales rep or which one has a bigger number....

Comment

Removed overclock, then at base CPU speed, re-ran performance test and submitted results.
            (I took a stab at this build with the sandy bridge e5-1660 as reference, others may wish to base their purchase decisions on actual numbers not theory..) For the benefit of those who may be building a high end workstation in the near future:
            Baseline# 390547 (no overclock)
            http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8...id=39054762789
            CPU score base clocks- 17,214 (2,213 single thread score)
            Overclocked scores- 20,921/2,696

Comment

Working...
            X