Radeon R7 240 & GeForce GT 730 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon R7 240 & GeForce GT 730 question

The benchmarks for both of these cards list the DDR3 versions and not the GDDR5 versions that I am trying to compare. Any help on this? Looking to buy a new card with a max budget of $75.

I think you'll find they are a mix. It is hard to tell them apart.
    What makes you think they are all the DDR3 version?

Comment

I saw a linked price for both cards to Amazon or Newegg that was about $20 cheaper than I had seen. Clicked the link and it took me to the DDR3 version. I then assumed that the cards that had been benchmarked were DDR3 and not DDR5.

Will DDR3 and DDR5 versions perform about the same?

Comment

While there might be a performance difference, I can't see anyway to tell them apart from looking at the system information, or even the benchmark results.

I am guessing other factors like OS version, CPU type, device driver version, PCI-E slot impact the results as much or more than the type of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver View Post
          I saw a linked price for both cards to Amazon or Newegg that was about $20 cheaper than I had seen. Clicked the link and it took me to the DDR3 version. I then assumed that the cards that had been benchmarked were DDR3 and not DDR5.

Will DDR3 and DDR5 versions perform about the same?

GDDR5 memory will definitely be faster than ddr3 memory, pci-e slot 3.0 or 2.0 barely influences the performance at all, definitely not to a noticable rate. if everything is the same except for gddr5 memory (and maybe a smaller memory interface of say 64-bit) the gddr5 video card will (without doubt) outperform the ddr3 video card. I hope this helps you.

EDIT: I'd advise you to go for the R7 240 1gb gddr5 because of it's bigger memory interface of 128-bit compared to the gt 730 gddr5's 64-bit interface. There won't be a massive difference though if you choose to go for the gt 730 anyway, you might even notice better performance with some games that are optimzed better for nvidia cards than amd cards.

Comment

Working...
          X