Worth upgrading or reinstall windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth upgrading or reinstall windows?

My computer is running slow. I could use a reinstall of windows but i am considering an upgrade to z97 and M.2 ssd and i7-4790k (11,241 benchmark). is it worth the $6-800 its going to cost?

Here is my current performance test

The i7-3770 is a good CPU. I don't think you'll notice the upgrade to the 4790.

You might notice a M.2. drive like the SM951, but it depends on your usage.

I would be tempted to do the Windows re-install and hold off on the hardware upgrade for another 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      The i7-3770 is a good CPU. I don't think you'll notice the upgrade to the 4790.

You might notice a M.2. drive like the SM951, but it depends on your usage.

I would be tempted to do the Windows re-install and hold off on the hardware upgrade for another 6 months.

I am excited to use the M.2 for the first time. I have another computer i built with a ASRock Z97 Extreme6. I didnt have as good of specs but seamed to run windows 8.1 much smoother. Is this possible the motherboard is better built for windows 8.1 vs my current ASRock Z77?

Comment

No, there is nothing special in the motherboards that would make them better for Win8.
        A motherboard that runs Win7 well will also run Win8 well, assuming all the device drivers are available.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I ordered it all anyway. Nothing like new hardware to modivate a fresh windows install. Your opinion was helpful, turns out a computer down the line was really under performing so i'll pass along the parts and try and think of a good idea to use the old slow computer for a server of some kind.

Comment

High CPU temps can slow your PC down eg Dusty case inside or poor overclock.

Comment

Working...
            X