No announcement yet.

dual xeon 2686 v4, should I upgrade to Xeon 2699 v4? or not worth it? HP z840

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual xeon 2686 v4, should I upgrade to Xeon 2699 v4? or not worth it? HP z840

Hi,
    I hope that I am posting in the right place.
    currently, I have dual xeon 2686 v4, should I upgrade to Xeon 2699 v4? or not worth it? to be used with HP z840
    Please, currently, I have dual Xeon 2686 v4, should I upgrade to Xeon 2699 v4? or is it not worth it?
    The machine is an HP z840 with dual CPUs.
    The reason for asking is that I am from a country in the middle east, and buying plus shipping and custom from eBay is costly, I mean my local currency against the USD exchange rate.
    So does the performance really will be a huge difference? or not that much?
    Currently, I already have RAM is 32 GB * 16 slots = 512 GB, and the power supply is 1125W.
    Using the machine for only 2 main purposes plus daily routine:
    1. Programming, using more than one IDE like Visual studio enterprise edition, and others like PHPStorm, and WebStorm. and testing developed software in virtual machines like VirtualBox or VMWare.
    2. Video encoding, using Davinci Resolve Studio. and VidCoder to reduce the resulting file to a smaller size file.
    Thanks

Save the money and spend it on a completely new machine.
    Unless you are running 50 VMs at the same time, that amount of RAM would seem to be overkill as well.

You don't really a Xeon CPU and for the price of the CPUs you could buy a whole new machine, which would be significantly faster.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Save the money and spend it on a completely new machine, which would be significantly faster.
      Thanks a lot for your reply.
      Please, I am not a geek or a nerd and I do not know much about computer hardware.
      Here in local markets, there are a lot of computer malls where sellers are selling used original computers from different brands like HP, Dell, Lenovo...etc.
      These computers vary from normal PCs to workstations and servers.
      So I thought buying the highest machine in the market would be a good choice, so I bought the HP z840, and NVIDIA Quadro P6000 24GB, and 2686 v4 with 512 GB ram, I thought that would be the ultimate choice.
      So please, if your time allows, may you suggest what I may buy?

Comment

That HP z840 was a high end workstation / server class machine from around 5 years ago. Should still be plenty fast however for most tasks. Maybe just check the SSD it is using. Or if it doesn't have a SSD, then this would be a very good upgrade. Also dual large format 4K LCD monitors is generally a better investment than a CPU upgrade. Most screen space = more productivity.

A new regular desktop would likely be slightly faster however. But I would do SSD and monitor upgrade first.

Comment

That HP z840 was a high-end workstation/server class machine from around 5 years ago. Should still be plenty fast however for most tasks. Maybe just check the SSD it is using. Or if it doesn't have an SSD, then this would be a very good upgrade. Also, dual large format 4K LCD monitors are generally a better investment than a CPU upgrade. Most screen space = more productivity.

A new regular desktop would likely be slightly faster, however. But I would do SSD and monitor upgrade first.

That is very good news because I have the Samsung Evo 1 TB SSD, and 6 TB black Western digital hard drive plus 4 monitors Acer slim 27 inches, and placed them using VIVO Steel Quad Monitor Desk Mount Adjustable 3 + 1 Stand | 4 Screens up to 32".
          Thanks a lot.
          What other things would you suggest I do?
          Or is nothing else to be upgraded or changed?
          Thanks

Comment

Maybe a quality mechanical keyboard.

Is the EVO a M2 drive?
            If you are using the 6TB HDD a lot, then replace it with a SSD.

Comment

Maybe a quality mechanical keyboard.
              Sorry, but what is that?

Is the EVO a M2 drive?
              I do not know what is M2, but this is my model: https://www.amazon.eg/dp/B08T1SMTF9

If you are using the 6TB HDD a lot, then replace it with an SSD.
              But there is no 6 TB SSD in the local market, or do you mean to have several SSDs?
              I was reading about how to convert an old computer to storage in the local network, and I have an old Dell T3500, I was thinking about doing it using several hard drives, but do not know fully how to technically do it, and still watching youtube tutorials.

Comment

That Evo SSD is a (slow) SATA SSD. So both existing drives could be upgraded.

See if your motherboard support a M2 slot (or several M2 slots). New M2 SSD would be around 5x faster.

There are about a dozen companies making 4TB M2 SSDs. Around $199 to $400 USD.

Comment

Does the M2 is the drive being attached to this PCI drive? because I have these cards as well:
                  GIGABYTE AORUS Gen 4 AIC Adaptor - GC4XM2G4
                  GIGABYTE AORUS Gen 4 AIC Adaptor - GC4XM2G4

HP Z Turbo Drive Quad Pro NO-SSD/Cable New 841969-001 for HP z840 z640 z440
                  HP Z Turbo Drive Quad Pro NO-SSD/Cable New 841969-001 for HP z840 z640 z440
                  ​I mean inside it, is it the M2?
                  I have these 2 items but did not add anything yet to them.

Comment

Yep. Both those PCIe cards support M2 drives.
                    Probably overkill to be using both at the same time however.

Comment

I wish I was here before I bought anything, my friend.
                      About a dozen companies are making 4TB M2 SSDs. Around $199 to USD 400.
                      May you give some examples, so I can have a better idea and read more about it?

Yep. Both those PCIe cards support M2 drives.
                      Probably overkill to be using both at the same time, however.
                      I bought these 2 items according to some reviews from YouTube, but I was not able to know what exactly to do with them.
                      To be honest I feel regret spending a lot of money on what I bought from eBay because I was not exactly sure about all the items I bought but I just followed the YouTube reviews and recommendations because they had a lot of views and comments.​

Comment

Working...
                      X