Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7-1355U vs Intel Core i5-1335U Passmark Score

Hello friends in the forum,

I'm at a loss. I'm trying to decide between two notebook (same brand), one with the cpu being Core i7-1355U and the other being Core i5-1335U. Both are 13th generation (latest). But the Passmark score seems to indicate that the Core i5 is "faster" (higher score).

Could someone enlighten me on this?
    Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	4964
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	55689​​

Hard to comment without knowing exactly which laptops these are used in.
    i5 does seem to be legitimately better however (on average, across the specific laptops where it is used).

This might be cause the i7 gets too hot for the limited cooling ability of the laptops where this part was used. Or might be because the vendors using the i7 have only included single channel RAM in the laptop. These mobile chips can also have their max thermal output configured in BIOS. So it might be that some of the i7 vendors have throttled these chips in BIOS because they know the cooling isn't up to the job.

Comment

David,

Thank you so much for your reply. Specifically, I'm looking at the Dell Inspiron 7430, which came in two flavors (Core i7-1355U and Core i5-1335U). Not knowing the full thermal details (although both of these processor are supposedly 15W TDP), the chassis of the two laptops are identical. The Core i5 unit came with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD, the Core i7 unit came with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. I'm not sure if these contribute enough to the thermal affects. Because of such a "great difference", can a test be created (or run) across two "same brand" systems?

Thanks.

Comment

With laptop benchmarking there is always the wide range of performance. There are big differences in RAM setups, cooling solutions, windows power control settings, BIOS config and the amount of crap-ware shipped with the machines. Higher end laptops are also more likely to come with high end video cards, which adds to the heat load. I would be fairly sure the best i7 setups are better than the best i5 setups. But on average, it seems in the real world, the i5 is better.

Would be very interesting to get these two Dell machines side by side and test them however.

Comment

Working...
        X