Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 3.2 Gen1 Header having issues when using USB 3.0 Hubs in windows

Hi team,

I'm currently trying to run burnintest/usb3.0tester on windows to benchmark the USB ports on a system, however when I run these tests the system becomes unstable or the software will crash and cause the OS to crash. I've tried multiple versions of windows 10 and 11 and even server 2019 and they all produce the same errors. I have reached out to the motherboard manufacturer about this issue as well but they want me to confirm that the test software is compatible. The current loopback I have is a 3.0 loopback (rev 1) at V2.5, the header it is connected to is a USB 3.2 gen 1 19 pin header and it is controlled by the ASmedia USB 3.1 XHCI 1.10 controller. Can you provide any insight into this?

Our software is compatible with Widows 10 and 11 (and Server 2019).
    ASmedia host controllers are moderately common. It should work.
    I assume all these tests were done with the same motherboard, CPU & RAM?

Do you have the latest USD host controller (motherboard chipset) device drivers installed?
    Are you sure it is really the USB port that is causing the OS to crash?
    Maybe (for example) the RAM is bad, and USB testing is just the trigger for the problem, and not the root cause?

Comment

these were done on an X13SEW-tf motherboard from supermicro. I downloaded the latest chipset drivers from their website, we've done other types of benchmarks (winsat, crystal disk mark) on the same system using the same 19p USB port which do not cause the same behavior but we know for sure that this problem is local to this USB port since the other USB-A ports dont cause the same issues.

Comment

It isn't a problem we are aware of. But not many people would be testing USB ports that aren't integrated into the motherboard on server class motherboards.

Generally speaking any USB port connected via additional internal cabling is significantly more error prone that USB ports integrated into the motherboard PCB.
        For example we see many more problem with Front USB ports that are connected with additional header cable to the motherboard. We suspect many of these internal cables aren't of very good quality, and extra connectors in the path can cause impedance issues, signal reflection and degradation. This shouldn't cause the OS to crash however.

Comment

Working...
        X