Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 for gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 for gaming?

I am new in building computers. My question is can Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 be used on a regular, non-server 1151 motherboard? Like GIGABYTE GA-Z170-HD3P? I know Xeon does not have graphic chip but other functions of the motherboard will be fine?

Thanks!

I think the thing to be concerned about the is the RAM.
    The Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 supports ECC RAM. But the motherboard doesn't list ECC support (well it kind of does, as it says you can use ECC RAM, but not in non-ECC mode). It also doesn't list the Xeon as being a supported CPU.

In short, it might work, but there are reasons why it might not as well. So you wouldn't want to be the 1st person to do it and waste your money.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I actually find the answer after I submit the topic. Apparently, new Xeons work with their own C236 chip. So, Z170 motherboards will not work!!

Comment

"I actually find the answer after I submit the topic. Apparently, new Xeons work with their own C236 chip. So, Z170 motherboards will not work!!"

Actually, that may not be necessarily true. You are correct that the Xeon E3-1200 v5 family does have an available chipset (C236). However, the Xeon processor should theoretically work with any LGA1151 motherboard. The question about the chipset is more about what functions or technologies the processor AND chipset can provide to the user. So the C236 chipset may offer some more securities than the z170 and the z170 may offer overclocking technology than the C236 - regardless of what combination you use (Core i7 on a C236 chipset or a Xeon on a z170 chipset) certain functions or technologies would be disabled to the user if there isn't a match. So for example, if you put a Xeon in a z170, the Xeon security technologies on the CPU won't be utilized AND you won't be able to overclock the Xeon (it would be more like a non-K).

Does that make sense?

Comment

Working...
        X