AMD FX 9590 vs Intel i7 4790k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FX 9590 vs Intel i7 4790k?

I'm pretty sick of my AMD processor and I am looking to swap it for an intel. Is this a good swap or is there a better option? I'm not looking to over clock or anything like that. Just something to run my steam library without going nuclear on me.

Yes the Intel will run cooler and be no slower (it is about half the wattage). Maybe even faster for games that are well threaded. But many games are also limited by the video card. So I wouldn't expect a huge performance improvement.

Comment

I have a radeon 290x, it can handle my gaming and video editing/encoding quite well.I also decided to upgrade it to a water cooler just to be sure that also doesn't over heat anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by kyler9437 View Post
        I have a radeon 290x, it can handle my gaming and video editing/encoding quite well.I also decided to upgrade it to a water cooler just to be sure that also doesn't over heat anymore.
        From what I understand the AMD FX series are very good at rendering and multitasking but when it comes to single core processing power they are quite weak. Games that use single cores instead of multiple cores tend to suffer fps dips. As games are released these days I believe most take advantage of the multiple cores more than they used to.

I myself play a lot of WoW which takes a lot of single core processing power. I noticed low fps dips when I had my 8350 compared to the 4690k i5 I have now. And the overall fps is higher and less dips, (more consistent fps).

Comment

Gaming - see: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1363

Comment

Working...
          X