Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my cheap M.2 adapter effecting my NvMe drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my cheap M.2 adapter effecting my NvMe drive?

I recently bought a 238GB NVMe SAMSUNG MZVLV256 drive and a cheap PCIe adapter for it. After benchmarking it with Samsung Magician im getting scores of

Seq read MB/s 426
    Seq write MB/s 305
    Rand read IOPS 79186
    Rand write IOPS 63124

for my 238GB NVMe SAMSUNG MZVLV256 drive (storage )

and

Seq read MB/s 3413
    Seq write MB/s 2229
    Rand read IOPS 105015
    Rand write IOPS 48389

for my 232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB ATA Device SSD ( Operation system )

I would have expected the NVMe to be much faster. What can be slowing it down, could it be the adapter?

Thank you for any help.

These benchmark numbers aren't from our software, so I don't really know how Magician goes about obtaining these numbers. However the 840 EVO numbers are just plain wrong. You can't get 3400 MB/sec from a SATA drive. More likely you are just benchmarking the RAM cache.

Comment

Unfortunately my 30 day trail of passmark has ended so I ran the program again and its giving me similar numbers. Then I ran with another program called crystaldiskmark with similar results

Evo

Seq read MB/s 2812
      Seq write MB/s 2464

NvMe

Seq read MB/s 422.8
      Seq write MB/s 313.7

Come to think of it, 430 MB/s is quite fast isn't it? I dont know what I should be expecting for either drive

Is it possible that the Evo is getting such a score because its the operatiing system disk, is it still using the cable? ( Pardon my stupidity )

Comment

Unfortunately my 30 day trail of passmark has ended
        Maybe you should purchase the software

Then I ran with another program called crystaldiskmark
        If you are running someone else's benchmark and not getting expected results, maybe you should contact them instead of us?

The Samsung SM951-NVMe should be faster than 313MB/sec. While, as already pointed out, the Evo can't be running at 2812MB/sec. So the only conclusion is that you are benchmarking your RAM cache and not the actual hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          Maybe you should purchase the software
          At twice the cost I paid for the thing I need to test, once, I can't justify that.

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
          If you are running someone else's benchmark and not getting expected results, maybe you should contact them instead of us?
          Its not about the benchmarks or the software, I came here hoping to find a helpful community to which I could ask a simple question, " Could a cheap M.2 adapter be slowing down my NvMe PCIe drive."

Though I thank you for the little information you have given me I guess I was wrong.

Comment

The forum is primarily for helping people who have questions about our software & hardware.

We don't find answering general IT support issues if we know the answer, but we aren't providing free technical support for competitors products.

By buying the software, you not only get the software, but you also get technical support. i.e. our time.

Comment

Working...
            X