Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• better filtering of price/performance

Greetings!

I'm about to put together a gaming PC for my son as I am tired of him bitching about lag on his iMac with an i5-4570 3.2GHz (CPUMark ~7k). Yes, it's a Mac, so YMMV. However, the chart of best price vs performance seems to disregard a minimum perf level; and the high-end CPUMark does not provide price/perf.

I'd like to either (a) get access to the raw data (perf and price of CPUs from the high-end CPU chart) and do my own data analysis in Excel; or (b) be able to "rerun" the price/perf charts with filters, such as "min perf level is 10k" and/or "max price is $300".

is there any way to do that? One reason I ask is other benchmarks (such as this one http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1291 ) show about equivalent performance for the top 24 CPUs--and that's a lot of data, and the more I can narrow it down the better. Yes, some of will have to do with the supported memory technologies and speeds, but I gotta start somewhere.

-normie-

The i5-4570 isn't a bad CPU. Maybe the lag in due to the poor video card or slow internet connection and not the CPU.

If you go to the CPU Mega list, then you can sort by "CPU value", then you can run down the list until you find a CPU with greater than 10K CPUMark.

The answer, ordered by decreasing value, is,
    AMD FX-9590 Eight-Core
    Intel Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz
    Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz
    Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz

Only the FX-9590 and i7-4790 are in your $300 budget however.
    The i7-4790 has double the electrical efficiency however. So less cooling required and lower power bills. Plus single threaded performance is way better.

So in my opinion, that leaves you with 1 choice. The i7-4790.

Comment

Thanks. I did not realize any of the pages were sortable--just none of the ones I had visited. Cool.

Comment

Working...
      X