Evga 970 SSC 3d score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evga 970 SSC 3d score?

I had an old dell xps 8500 with a core i5 3350p and standard other components 8gb ddr3 cx750 m power supply evga 970 ssc Samsung evo ssd

When I ran the passmark 3d benchmark tool I had a score between 8400 and 8700 for the 970

Now I have purchased a new set up to build with the cpu score on the fx 8350 being so much more I assumed that it would be reasonably faster then the i5 3350p I had previous
    was running windows 10 on both computers
    New setup has the same hard drive /ram / and power supply only changed case/motherboard and processor

changed the motherboard to the asrock 990fx extreme9 with the fx 8350 black edition slightly overclocked with the arctic winter aftermarket cooler

When i ran the 3d mark with passmark again i got betweem 7800 and 8100 of course gpu drivers are up to date so is windows 10
    I mean thats getting close to a 10% drop in performance on the benchmark...

I can not for the life of me figure out why I was going to uninstall passmark and re install make sure my direct x files are up to date and all of it did auto update.

Any ideas would sure be appreciated

Thank you

The Intel i5 3350p has a CPU mark of 6081 when using all cores and 1744 when using a single core
    The AMD FX-8350 has a CPU mark of 8946 when using all cores and 1504 when using a single core

The 3D score depend somewhat on the CPU.

So the AMD chip is only faster when you are using 7 or 8 of it cores. They are probably around equal if you are using ~4 cores, and the i5 is faster when using 1 or 2 cores.

The current selection of AMD chips also tend to have lower memory access speeds. So you might have downgraded in that respect as well. The AMD will also suck down about double the power (electricity) when under load and need more cooling.

So on some games the i5 will be better and on others (which use more CPU cores) the 8350 will be better.

Both these CPUs were released years back. I know it is was probably cheap (and cheap for a reason) but it seems a strange upgrade to pick if you were purchasing a CPU and MB?

Something newer like the Intel Core i7-5820K or Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz might have been a better choice. (but then you might need new DDR4 RAM as well)

Comment

Working...
    X