Any help appreciated. Slow AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help appreciated. Slow AMD Athlon 64 3200+

I've run the PerformanceTest 6.1, and I believe I've got some poor results for the system I have and just can't think what it could be.. ..whilst it's not a fresh install theres not a great deal of extra stuff installed (mostly just games).. ..my spec is as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 754) Processor
    1 GB (2x512mb) Corsair Memory
    Sapphire ATI Radeon x1950 512MB Graphics Card
    1 x IDE 20GB & 1 x SATA 120GB HardDisk
    ASUS K8V-SE Motherboard

The overall Passmark rating was 234.8 and the breakdown was as follows:

CPU Mark: 172.4
    2D Graphics Mark: 261.3
    Memory Mark: 137.4
    Disk Mark: 217.2
    CD Mark: 436.7
    3D Graphics Mark: 368.1

My friend has a similar but slightly less specced machine and is achieving a passmark in the mid 400's and reports higher scores across the board.. ..I've no idea why my machine is so performing so badly .. ..any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Ben

I agree it is bit low.
    I would start by checking for the typical stuff. Background tasks, viruses, spyware, overactive antivirus software. Then move on to checking stuff like BIOS settings & temperature. Maybe your CPU is under clocked, or overheating and throttling down.

And that 20GB IDE doesn't sound too fast. You could get PerformanceTest to test the 2nd drive by selecting it from the preferences window.

Comment

I did some housekeeping, and fiddled around.. ..the main thing was as you advised the cpu was being throttled down, and was set to full power saving updated it, and stuck the latest driver on for good measure and now I'm getting 484.4 My main motivation now is to break the 500 mark

Thanks for the help, great piece of software btw, will definately be purchasing it sometime before the evaluation runs out...

Comment

Working...
      X