Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad performance with 8800GTS

Hello,
    I'm running on Gigabyte P35-DQ6 + Q6600 with 2GB RAM 1066 from Corsair.
    Graphic card is eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB superclocked version.
    All "Performance Tests 6.1" seems to be OK besides the following:
    Graphics 2D - Sapes: 2.45
    Graphics 3D - Complex: 8.6

Does it make sense on such hardware?
    May it indicate a graphic card HW problem?

Here are the rest of the 2D/3D scores:
    Graphics 2D - Lines: 127.8
    Graphics 2D - Rectangles: 276.8
    Graphics 2D - Shapes: 2.5
    Graphics 2D - Fonts and Text: 225.5
    Graphics 2D - GUI: 176.4
    Graphics 3D - Simple: 1230.8
    Graphics 3D - Medium: 278.0

Thank you!

Something is definitly not right.

With a X1950 Pros PCIe I got

3D Simple - 2822
    3D Medium - 484
    3D Complex - 63

You should blow it out of the water with your card. I would reinstall the latest drivers, make sure DirectX is properly installed, and then after that make sure it is seated correctly and all the BIOS settings are correct. Check the GPU temp and see if it is too high. If it is the card could be throttling, or it could have a defect. After that you could check your power supply to make sure it is feeding the card, then after that I'd try to get it replaced.

Or wait for new drivers if you are using Vista. Nvidia has been having alot of trouble with good drivers lately. If you have Vista try the card in a friends non vista box and see if it performs badly. if it works well it is a software issue.

umm well, long story short thats what i'd do to fix it.

-Brian

Comment

Thank you Brian!
      I reinstalled the drivers, and changed the BIOS settings back to its defaults - no improvement.
      I'm using Antec 550W and it is connected OK to the card, I don't think there is a problem here.
      Is there a way to monitor the graphic card power usage?
      How do I determine if the DirectX is installed properly? It passed the utility ("Performance Tests 6.1") checks.

I'll take your advise and check the card on a different system and see if it behaves differently. I'll post my findings here.

Comment

Brian, what is your total 3D Graphics Mark in the final score?

Comment

OK, tried my 8800GTS on GigaByte PS-DS3, and the motherboard halted!!! When turned the system power on, it turned off immediately and then on again and so on and so forth in gaps of few seconds.
          Even when I pluged back this system's original card (GeForce 7300 GT) this phenomenon remained. I needed to hard reset the mobo to get it back to normal work. I repeated this test once more with the same results.
          (Anyone heard of such mobo behavior?)

So I pluged the 7300GT into my system, and ran 2D/3D tests and indeed I saw higher numbers then my 8800GTS...

Can I assume my card is defective? I guess so.

Comment

uhh, well my Leadtek 8800 GTS 320MB Extreme @ 540/1680 stock on Win Vista Home Premium gets an overall 3d score of 1077.9 and an overall 2d score of 494.3 with latest beta drivers.

3d simple: 2873.4
            3d med. : 449 exact
            3d complex:45.8

EDIT: That's in 16 bit color. With an AMD 5600+: (E6400 equivelent) and 2gigs Super Talent DDR2-800 @ 4-4-3-8
            Last edited by BeepBeep2; Jun-23-2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks BeepBeep2,
              Can you post your 2D testing results as well?

Comment

OK, well I ran both tests once today and i got this:

Please note that before, I ran the tests several times until i got the highest score possible. I also turned off all visual elements in win vista(as i did today.) Second, I went to the nvidia control panel before and turned off anything whatsoever that would even make me lose 1 frame. I even lost 20fps on what i had when i turned it to performance mode. aka, i went into advanced settings and turned even more off...(in 16bit color today also)

3d Graphics: 1067.8
                Simple:2847.8
                Med:443.1
                Complex:45.7

2d:473.1
                Lines:45.7
                Rectangles:113.9
                Shapes:28.3
                Fonts and Text:321.8
                GUI:207.0

My scores are still very dissapointing....I should get 1200 in 3d, 800 in 2d...
                Last edited by BeepBeep2; Jun-24-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

It sounds like there is a short on the card or the PCI bus, if it is causing another mobo to not POST it is most likely the card. The only thing you can do is make sure this new mobo you are putting it in is set to boot PCIe (I assume your card is PCIe, and if it has an onboard video this will boot off your card first.) and all settings are correct, Is it beeping at all? Did you remember to hook up the secondary power cord?

If there are a few beeps, just write them down. There are long and short beeps that create a pattern that will tell you which HW component is causing the problem.

It sounds like you have yourself a defective card. I mean don't quote me on that but thats what it sounds to me. Usually when a computer needs to be hard reset (new mobos anyway, with the dual BIOS) this is a HW failure of some sort.

I would contact the manu. of the card and see if this is a common problem. I am sure then can walk you through a diagnostic that will tell if the card is defective or not.

-Brian
                  Last edited by Brian; Jun-25-2007, 05:04 AM.

Comment

8800GTS on GigaByte PS-DS3, and the motherboard halted!!!
                    Obviously this is not a good sign. As Brian suggests, check the obvious before returning the card. Is the extra power cable connected, was the card well seated in the PCI-E slot. Does the card still work in the original MB?

There have been a number of reports of so so performance with the 8800GTS cards & PerfomanceTest. We don't know the exact reason behind this but our theory is that the 8800 series cards were the first cards that needed to support DirectX 10 and Vista, and nVidia was under a lot of pressure to release them. So due to lack of time the 8800 was optimised to work on the commonly available games and that was about it. Everything else runs kind of so so. But some some cases, like izuker's 8 frames per sec, there are also probably some other issues at play (drivers, power supplies, DirectX version, conflicting software, incompatible hardware, etc.. we don't really know). If you search Google there are 100's of other reports of poor performance from the 8800 series cards (and other older cards for that matter), but no real common theme as to the cause.

Comment

Just a quick update,
                      eVGA didn't realy help in debugging the issue, all they suggested was running a benchmark utility and "see" if the card crashs or not.
                      As you know the case here is a "low performance" issue and not a "fatal error" issue.
                      The RMA is on its way...

Comment

Originally posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
                        uhh, well my Leadtek 8800 GTS 320MB Extreme @ 540/1680 stock on Win Vista Home Premium gets an overall 3d score of 1077.9 and an overall 2d score of 494.3 with latest beta drivers.

3d simple: 2873.4
                        3d med. : 449 exact
                        3d complex:45.8

EDIT: That's in 16 bit color. With an AMD 5600+: (E6400 equivelent) and 2gigs Super Talent DDR2-800 @ 4-4-3-8

lol? an amd 5600+ will never be equivelent to a Core 2 Duo E6400...

Comment

Originally posted by izucker View Post
                          Hello,
                          I'm running on Gigabyte P35-DQ6 + Q6600 with 2GB RAM 1066 from Corsair.
                          Graphic card is eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB superclocked version.
                          All "Performance Tests 6.1" seems to be OK besides the following:
                          Graphics 2D - Sapes: 2.45

Does it make sense on such hardware?
                          May it indicate a graphic card HW problem?

Here are the rest of the 2D/3D scores:
                          Graphics 2D - Lines: 127.8
                          Graphics 2D - Rectangles: 276.8
                          Graphics 2D - Shapes: 2.5
                          Graphics 2D - Fonts and Text: 225.5
                          Graphics 2D - GUI: 176.4
                          Graphics 3D - Simple: 1230.8
                          Graphics 3D - Medium: 278.0

Thank you!

Hey Guys nice to see a few people trying to help each other.

Lucky you I had the same problem. I got less than 10 FPS for Graphics 3D and have been fiddling for days trying to figure out whats wrong. I don't think its the card tho. I have a EVGA 8800 GTS 320mb, and a Gigabyte 965P DS3. I ran this test the first time i got mediocre results (can't remember but they weren't as bad as yours,(yet), everything had been stock settings so far. so i tried to fiddle around and fix the problem. In the next moment after i adjusted settings for OCing my CPU, I found that when i ran the benchmark again, my results tanked even futher, down to less than 10 fps for complex 3D settings. then i realizes in the BIOS there was an option, i'm guessing for other gigabyte mobos as well, for "Robust graphics booster which was set for boost. Basically it says it messes around with the bandwitdh,when overclocking somehow. So i turned it back to auto. Set my Voltages also to auto. And booted it again. suprisingly when i ran it this time it faired better resluts:

Graphics 2D - Lines: 124.8
                          Graphics 2D - Rectangles: 85.8
                          Graphics 2D - Shapes: 55
                          Graphics 2D - Fonts and Text: 300.1
                          Graphics 2D - GUI: 192.3
                          Graphics 3D - Simple: 1851.0
                          Graphics 3D - Medium: 538.3
                          Graphics 3D - Complex: 98.6 <--- Thats 10x more fps then my previoustest.

3D graphics Mark: around 792

The card is not the superclocked edition, so i imagine yours should fair better than mine, (by a bit) I'm still trying to work out the problem with 2d graphics in my results., I think i have some kind of bottleneck, or maybe that i run vista. i hope that i can help with what i stumbled on

EVGA 8800GTS 320MB 500/800 @ 580/900
                          Audigy 2
                          Corsiar HX620Watt PSU

Comment

2D Poor Marks...

Just a reminder...if you are running 2 monitors as an extended desktop, disable the extension. It makes a HUGE difference in 2D scores.

Comment

Working...
                            X