2D performance in new generation graphic cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2D performance in new generation graphic cards

What do you think of new generation graphic cards 2D performance. I have looked various results and looks like Nvidia generation 6 is the culmination of 2D performance. It looks that gen 7 is slower, and gen 8 even slower. Not to mention ATI`s new HD generation which is horrible in 2D.

Why is that?
    Because they are optimizing drivers for 3D and neglecting 2D?
    Because they are optimizing hardware for 3D and video?
    Because they are not implementing all of the 2D units, trying to spare some space on the die, for cheaper production?
    Because in 2D mode the graphic card is working with lower frequency`s than in 3D, thus gaining in power efficiency and cooling?

Every opinion is most welcome.

It is definitely the case that most of their effort goes into 3D, and I agree the 2D optimization seems to be suffering.

But it is also the case that Windows has become more 2D (and 3D) intensive. Windows 95 was much less taxing on video cards compared to Vista. So to some degree the lower benchmarks for the GUI on new hardware is a reflection of the increasing complexity of the GUI in the new operating systems.

Comment

"Because they are optimizing drivers for 3D and neglecting 2D?
      Because they are optimizing hardware for 3D and video?
      Because they are not implementing all of the 2D units, trying to spare some space on the die, for cheaper production?
      Because in 2D mode the graphic card is working with lower frequency`s than in 3D, thus gaining in power efficiency and cooling?"

I think you hit the nail on the head on all points!

Before I switched to my 6800 GT I was running a 9800 pro. The ATI card badly beat the Nvidia card in 2d in most cases. The 9800 pro even beat the 6800GT in 2 of 3 of the 3d tests. Note: all other hardware/software was identical. Tested resolution also.
      Link http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...h/Misc/AvN.jpg
      In real world 3d performance as in the latest DX9 games of the time the 6800GT did perform better then the 9800 pro.

What really gets me is Nvidia's 16x.xx drivers destroy 2d performance on my 6800GT. Maybe other series also.
      Link http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...sc/drivers.jpg
      Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Working...
      X