3D Video Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Video Performance

I have done a couple of upgrades and new builds lately and the 3D graphics benchmark results have me puzzled. In all cases the older video cards have shown much higher performance numbers then the new. On one for instance the old card was a GeForce4 MX 4x AGP that marked Simple 144.9 medium 256.1 and complex 219.0, while the new GeForce FX 5200 8x AGP came back with simple 143.4, medium 199.8 and comples 84.6 in the same video mode settings. I rebenched the video using a different but similer model card and got the same results. I have double checked all driver settings as well (and yes the Motherboard is set to 8x before you ask )

It is hard to come up with a reasonable explaination without doing some experimentation and knowing the exact test configuration.

It could be differences in the device drivers, it could be becuase the system is CPU bound or it could be just differences in behaviour. (For example we have seen that running dual monitors badly affect some 3D cards and not others).

Regards
    David
    PassMark

Comment

did you completly uninstall all of the old drivers for the old mx440? this could have an impact also that card is well kinda sucky it will do fine in an office machine but for games you will need a better gpu to get smooth performance.
      ASUS 87N8X-E DELUXE
      AMD MOBILE 2600 BARTON CPU current at 12.5x 200 1.7 vcore
      3 STICKS OF CORSAIR XMS DDR400 2-3-3-6 @ 200 MHZ
      ati radeon 9600 128 meg
      13000 3dmark 2001, 28500 aquamark
      441 performance test, 4000 pcmark 04

Comment

The Geforcefx 5200 is a slower card then the geforce4 mx440... Marketing has got the best of you my friend. Go no lower than a fx5700ultra!

Comment

Working...
        X