Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance after upgrade

Hi,

Wow, what a nice product and great community! I upgraded from an Asus P4B+2.0Ghz Intel cpu to a P5N32-E+E6750. I got new 2gb of memory and a 7600GT. I had a WD Raptor at @10k rpm with windows xp which I moved over to the new build.

I had to do a "repair windows xp" so that the installation recognizes the new hardware. I reapplied all service packs and security updates and then ran the tests.

Nearly all scores doubled and more, but the disk and cd mark scores went down. I'm defragging the drive now and will try a dvd instead of a CD; hopefully it'll improve the scores. On the old build the drive was connected through a pci raid card but in the new build it's connected to the board.

My question: is xp IO expected to slow down when it's transplanted like this? I don't want to reinstall it from scratch just to find out the scores stayed the same.

thank you

There is no reason for the disk IO to slow down with a new MB & CPU. I assume the drive itself didn't change.

It might be that the RAID card was doing a better job of re-ordering I/O requests than the onboard port. What were the before and after scores?

Comment

Working...
    X