Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large RAM vs. Real World apps

Hello all!

I have significant differences in the Large RAM results between configurations with 2GB (622) and 4GB (1313) of RAM. These are primarily web servers.

What I am wondering is what effect does this have on real world apps? I understand that this test uses a large portion of RAM.

What apps would use ram in this way? SQL Databases? Normal OS operations? Or is it something that is not used in most common situations?

Any knowledge and insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

There are many applications (nowadays) that use close to or more than 2GB of RAM. Large databases, editing of very high resolution photos (poster size), some newer games, scientific applications, machine virtualization, etc...

If the web server is only serving files, the RAM requirements will not be so high. But if you have multiple sites on the same machine, using PHP & SQL simultaneously , etc..then the requirements could even exceed 4GB in total.

Use a 64bit O/S if you can, in preference to a 32bit O/S.

Comment

That's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something like a single app using a big chunk of RAM.

Thanks for the info!

Brad

Comment

Working...
      X