Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geforce 6800 Ultra Beat Geforce 8800 GT 512MB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geforce 6800 Ultra Beat Geforce 8800 GT 512MB?

hey i'm curious, while running the 2d/3d tests I noticed that one of the baselines that I compared to Crushed my 8800, now i'm not sure how that happened but how could a 6800 beat my 8800 by such a wide margin: My System 8800 GT Graphics 3d Simple = 530 FPS. Baseline 6800 Ultra = 2984 FPS. My system Graphics 3d Medium = 296.8 FPS. Baseline 562.4 FPS. My System Graphics 3d Complex = 53.7 FPS. Baseline 87.6 FPS. ok i aint no genuis but isnt the 8800 supposed to be superior to the 6800 or am I mising something? Because whether or not I'm running Vista shouldnt have this much of an Impact on the results. Or should I go buy a 6800 Ultra and play crysis on that.... Or just dont believe the baselines? BTW I am Running an SLI Configuration. Getting 28-40 FPS in Crysis on Very High...

My Setup:

Intel Q6600 OC to 3.26 GHz
    EVGA Nforce 680i SLI Board
    2Gigs OCZ 800Mhz oc'd to 967Mhz
    2X EVGA Geforce 8800 GT Superclocked Edition SLI
    2X 250GB Western Digital HDD 16MB Sata3 Raid 0
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Last edited by dreezo560; Feb-15-2008, 06:06 PM.

Vista is slower than XP. So you aren't comparing apples to apples if you are looking at a 6800 on XP vs a 8800 on Vista.

Also the 6800 might have been overclocked, at a difference resultion and have the device driver settings that were tweaked for low quality but high performance.

Also,as noted previously, the recent 8800 device drivers have a bug plus SLI doesn't work for most applications.

Comment

well yeah I understand the XP and Vista scenario, but i've found that if I go under advanced in performance test and select 3d test and change the resolution then yes I get VERY HIGH marks, problem is it doesnt go toward the calculation of my results as I cant tweak those settings for the test, and seeing that its a baseline that installs with the program, why is it there if its not a true benchmark? I mean tweaking drivers for huge performance gains defeats the purpose of the benchmark sw right? I mean its not really benching the performing hardware, rather than the tweaked drivers.

Comment

Running the test at different resolutions (full screen I assume) is not the same issue as running the test in a fixed size window with the desktop at different resolutions. It is the later that I was referring to. On some cards it doesn't make a big difference, but on other cards it does.

I assume your comments are referring to baseline BL3303? I think you probably have a half a point, this baseline was selected some time back and was representative of a high end configuration (at the time). Looking at comparable results now I have to agree, BL3303 appears to have been tweaked somewhat rather than being a plain vanilla result.

It is also running Windows 64bit (and had an overclocked CPU). And I guess you are running 32bit. So this is another reason the results might be different. The CPU speed impacts on the 3D results.

Comment

Working...
        X