Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Killing processes that are normally running, is it "cheating"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing processes that are normally running, is it "cheating"?

Might be a dumb question, but when I run benchmarking programs, such as PT. I bring up task manager and still killing away. everything from explorer.exe to dwm.exe, anything I don't NEED gets killed.

I bumped my score (mainly through the 3dmark score from what I've seen) about 40 points doing this. Right now I'm sitting at 1339.5 (that 1340 is eluding me!).

Personally I see nothing wrong with this, and will continue to do this when I test my system. Just wanted other opinions.
    Intel Q9450
    EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard
    4gb OCZ DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-7-24
    2 x EVGA 8800GT's KO Edition
    74gb Raptor HDD
    Vista Ultimate x64

It is kind of dangerous doing this as 1) novice users don't know what is save to kill and 2) the process you kill might be in the middle of something important, like updating the FAT of the disk.

Plus a lot of real background activity gets done by services, not by the applications that you can kill from task manager.

From a benchmarking point of view you should try and minimize background activity. But you don't want to go so far as to cripple the machine while doing it.

Comment

Well I'm far from a novice user, I do computer repair for a living.

I kill processes and services. I know what to kill and what to leave. For example I don't touch the 80k svchost.exe file haha. I can usually get my memory usage from ~30% to ~18-20% after I kill the stuff. I reboot and away I go back to normal usage again.

Certainly, I don't recommend it for the standard user who doesn't know what the files/services are.
      Intel Q9450
      EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard
      4gb OCZ DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-7-24
      2 x EVGA 8800GT's KO Edition
      74gb Raptor HDD
      Vista Ultimate x64

Comment

Working...
      X