Disk Test Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Test Questions

I will try and make long story short. About a month and a half ago I reformatted. I slightly overclocked my PC and everything worked great until about 1-2 weeks ago when I was installing a game things started to freeze up. It seemed to be especially when I was extracting files, moving files from one disk to another, or anything having to do with HD access.

I thought well maybe it's my overclocking I set everything to default but still had problems. I am in IT and having been working with computers for nearly 8 years. Started feeling like my HD had some bad sectors or something wasn't write. I ran every test available on my HD and it came out ok. Short Self Test, Long Self test, CHKDSK, Scan-Disk, end anything else I could think of.

After a barrage of Memory test, CPU test, HD, test, I figured I would reformatted again last night. It still just doesn't feel like it used to. My C: is a Seagate 160GB Sata.

From other post I read the Sequential Read seems really low. What do you guys think?

Benchmark Results
    Test Name: This Computer
    Disk - Sequential Read: 25.4
    Disk - Sequential Write: 47.8
    Disk - Random Seek + RW: 3.1
    Disk Mark: 275.9
    PassMark Rating: 55.2

It would seem to be a bit low unless you PC is a few years old. Normally reading should be slightly faster than writing for typical drives.

Check you have the correct motherboard device drivers installed.

Comment

Originally posted by passmark View Post
      It would seem to be a bit low unless you PC is a few years old. Normally reading should be slightly faster than writing for typical drives.

Check you have the correct motherboard device drivers installed.
      Yeah Its not, and I have the latest drivers installed. Like I said I just reformated and they worked fine with the current drivers for the last year.

I must have over done something when I was over clocking. My guess is the Nforce controller got overheated or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxplayer14 View Post
        Yeah Its not, and I have the latest drivers installed. Like I said I just reformated and they worked fine with the current drivers for the last year.

I must have over done something when I was over clocking. My guess is the Nforce controller got overheated or something.
        Have you checked the BIOS settings or settings in Device Manager to make sure the optimum SATA settings are in use?
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Windsurf48 View Post
          Have you checked the BIOS settings or settings in Device Manager to make sure the optimum SATA settings are in use?
          Only 1000 times. I have a a few programs on some a bootable USB, one which allows me to completely clear the CMOS and I have done that and re-flashed it.

As far as I can tell there are no settings in there that need to be changed. I have set it to default and changed settings in it so many times in the past that the default settings are optimal.

Comment

Working...
          X