DVD unable to read, Dual channel memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD unable to read, Dual channel memory

I am getting an error message indicating that it is unable to read a DVD in the DVD R/W drive. I have tried several DVD's. With a CD in the drive it reads OK. I have also tried a CDRW/DVD combo drive & it works fine.

This system has dual channel memory capability. I have run tests with a single bank of 256MB DDR PC2700, then again with two banks to put it in dual channel mode. The results are nearly identical. If the dual channel is working properly should I see a higher rating?

What is the exact error message for the DVD problem? Did you use a Data-DVD (as opposed to a movie DVD)?

There is a good article about dual channel memory here,
    http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_...whitepaper.pdf
    Of course being sellers of memory, they talk it up and make it sound better than it is. For most software the boost is only around 5 - 10%.

And you need to make sure you are actually using the feature.

Quote from the article referenced about :-

The majority of systems supporting dual-channel memory can be configured in either single-channel or dual-channel memory mode. An important fact to keep in mind is that even if a new computer or motherboard supports dual-channel DDR memory, this does not necessarily guarantee that both memory channels are being utilized in dual-channel mode.

It is not sufficient to just plug multiple memory modules into their sockets to get dualchannel memory operation–computer users need to follow specific rules when adding memory modules to ensure that they get dual-channel memory performance. Otherwise, their system may fall back to single-channel memory mode. Why pay for a Ferrari and limit yourself to only using first gear?
    Most dual-channel systems will have four memory DIMM sockets. Two sockets belong to channel A and the other two sockets to channel B.

For the best dual-channel memory performance on motherboards with the Intel dualchannel DDR chipsets, you must use identically paired memory modules in DIMM sockets 0 of channel A and B. Identically paired memory modules must also be used when populating DIMM sockets 1 of channel A and B. One can, for example, plug in matching 256MB DIMMs in both DIMM 0 slots, and plug in matching 512MB DIMMs in both DIMM 1 slots.

In this context, “matching” modules means:
    1. Both modules are the same capacity (e.g. both are 256MB, or 512MB)
    2. Both modules are the same speed (e.g. both are PC2700 or PC3200)
    3. Both have the same number of chips and module sides (e.g. both have the same number of chips on the module, and both are either single-sided or double-sided).

-------
    David
    PassMark

Comment

Working...
    X