Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do the CPU rank numbers signify?

Regarding the charts from http://www.cpubenchmark.net/
    What do the numbers tell you? If two different processors have the same number of cores and are both 2 GHz, why wouldn't they both be the same speed? Is a CPU listed at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html with a ranking of 2000 twice as fast as one with 1000, or what? What is indicated? How fast it actually works? How fast it can render graphics? What?

If two different processors have the same number of cores and are both 2 GHz, why wouldn't they both be the same speed?
    No. There are many other factors such as the design of the CPU, the manufacturer, the amount of cache, etc..

Is a CPU listed with a ranking of 2000 twice as fast as one with 1000
    Up to twice as fast yes. But it depends on the software you are using as to if the software will exploit all the available power.

The rating the CPU’s are given here represents their peak performance and not necessarily there real world performance with any specific software application. This is especially true in the case of CPU’s with multiple cores or benchmarks of systems with multiple physical CPU's. While PerformanceTest was designed to make use of all cores/CPU’s at once, many real world applications are not designed with this in mind, especially older applications. Unlike single core/CPU systems these systems will only show their full potential in high-performance situations such as Web-serving or when heavily multitasking, the average user might not see nearly as much improvement from them.

Comment

difference between CPU rank and CPU score

Hi there. I am a bit confused about this

Take a look at these two CPUs

Quad-Core AMD Opteron 1354
      PASSMARK SCORE (higher is better): 2503

[Dual CPU] Dual-Core AMD Opteron 2212
      PASSMARK SCORE: 2294
      RANK (lower is better): 91

So I am confused as to how to interpret these results?

Comment

The single CPU systems are in a seperate table (and graph) from the multi-cpu systems.

So there is a number #1 result for the single CPU system, and a number #1 result for the systems which have 2 or more CPUs. (It is generally only the expensive server class machines that have more than 1 CPU).

Comment

so its safe to assume there is a 1 to 1 relationship between score and rank (within multicore or singlecore) systems?

thanks

Comment

(within multicore or singlecore)
            I think you are getting confused between the concept of number of cores in a CPU and number of CPUs in a computer.

Comment

Sorry I wrote that post in a rush

What I meant to say is, there is a 1-to-1 relationship between rank and passmark score (within single-CPU or multi-CPU systems).

i.e. a HIGHER score will always mean lower rank, and vice versa

Comment

This is correct.

Comment

Working...
                X