Win32/FakeAlert.MP Virus Detected in Setup Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win32/FakeAlert.MP Virus Detected in Setup Files

We purchased the PassMark PerformanceTest 6.1 and wanted to install it on a device to run but we got from our anti-virus a warning "The Win32/FakeAlert.MP was detected". This occurred today but we never had this issue in the past..

Looks like another false positive from eTrust Antivirus...

Comment

It is 99% sure this is a false positive. Just like the last few times CA have done this.

For details of past CA mistakes see.
      http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571
      and
      http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549
      (and a Google search also brings up 1000's of other incidents of false positives)

So we'll double check our files are OK, and also contact CA (again).

I also think e-TRUST is now a discontinued product? The new name is CA Anti-Virus?

But to contact CA we need to know exactly what version of e-TRUST you are using and what is the date/ / version of your current virus definitions. It would be great if you could provide this information.
      Last edited by Karen; Nov-14-2008, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Yes it's going end of life soon but supported until next year in terms of virus definitions. It is Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus version 7.1.501 Client. Signature version 31.6.6208 (Last updated 11/13/2008 7:54 AM).

It looks like there was a new virus definition installed this morning which could have tagged the setup files.

Please keep us informed of how you make out with CA, because right now I can't even install it on the devices I wanted to benchmark... (I could've just disabled the antivirus and install it but I don't have access rights to do so... per company policy) thanks!

Comment

Looks like you guys got CA to fix it... it's working again after this morning's latest virus definition changes, thanks for your help PassMark!

Comment

Yes it was corrected. Much quicker than the last few times they had to fix up false positives.
            The comment from CA was, "...AV team removed the False positive, so you should not have the problem anymore"

Comment

Working...
            X