64 vs 32?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 vs 32?

I noticed that machines with 4G or more ram with my processor seem to have significantly lower CPU mark scores than those with 3.5G or lower (meaning a difference between 64 and 32 bit windows I think). >4G = 2800-2900 vs <3.5G = 2200; that's with the processor not-OC'ed running at 2500. a phenom 9850.
    Does this make sense? Is it the 64 vs 32 that is making this difference? Is it a real difference or just an artifact of the testing methods? Is it something else? Thanks. I bought Passmark to see what the benchmark data looked like and already it looks interesting.

The amount of RAM isn't so important for the CPU tests. But using a 64bit CPU, 64bit O/S with the 64bit release of Performance can make a significant speed difference.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. As a result I am running Windows XP 64 and my cpu mark went from ~2200 in XP to ~2800 in XP64 (at stock speed). I am happy to have purchased Passmark and it has helped me tune this PC.

Now I have noticed something else. At 2.8GHz, Version 6.1 gave me a ~3150 cpu mark. I just installed and ran Version 7 and I got ~3960. I am pleased to see that of course, but I have the same basic question: Is it real? Are the results in Versions 6.1 and 7 comparable? I checked and my Version 6.1 was 64 bit also.

Comment

The tests are different between V6 and V7. We tried to make the score as similar as possible, but on certain CPUs there is a significant different between the V6 and V7 CPU results. So when possible just compare V6 to V6 results and V7 to V7 results.

Comment

On the graphs then, will V7 results just gradually supplant V6 as people adopt V7?

Comment

Yes, we are getting in 400+ new V7 baseslines a day. So in a few weeks all the high end CPU results will be dominated by V7 results. For teh disk and video graphs, they are only comprised of V7 results.

Comment

Working...
            X