Really Lower Performance Numbers on 3500+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Lower Performance Numbers on 3500+

My wife's computer started going really slow, so I ran the benchmark tests to see how well it was performing and the numbers are REALLY Low.

CPU - Integer math = 7.6 (one of the downloaded baselines shows I should be hitting somewhere around 64)

Floating Point Math = 29.8

Find Prime Numbers = 5.4

Multimedia Instructions = .51

Compression = 45.7

Encryption = .22

Physics = 29 (this is the only one even remotely close to the downloaded baseline)

It's not just the CPU. The graphics marks are super low. I couldn't sit through the entire barrage of graphics test, it was taking so long, but as an example, 2D Complex Vectors marked at 6.1 (compared to the 109.4 comparison number.

My summary memory mark is only 13.5 (1GB 400Mhz RAM) compared to 454.3 (of course, the baseline was 3G and i only have 1GB).

I have completely reinstalled the OS, and the benchmark numbers above are on a PC with no extra software installed. I even uninstalled antivirus, thinking that might be hogging the CPU.

Anyways, the point is... what's going on with this PC? What would cause this computer to be so low? Any recommendations how to fix it? The PC has always been a bit flaky, and would sporadically lose power, but it did that off and on for over a year (maybe once a month), and only now is it really slow.

Help!!!!

thanks,

Dave

Baselines

Oh, and.... Yes, baseline I chose was another AMD 3500+ system. Is it possible that the mobo is flaking out. I'm wondering if the power failing occasionally has caused a short somewhere in the MOBO that is causing this issue.

thanks,

Dave

Comment

Make sure the CPU is running at the correct speed. Many AMD motherboards default the CPU to a slower speed to ensure boot up and need to be manually set in the bios. This usually happens if the bios is cleared for any reason. Also power management could be set for max power savings causing the CPU to run at much less than full speed. If the bios was set at default and power management was set to max power savings the CPU could be running at a extremely slow frequency. I find that CpuZ in general is very accurate at reporting CPU frequency etc. http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

It would help if you would supply more complete system spec's.
      AMD made several 3500+ CPU's that run at different frequencies.
      Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

The system is an E-Machine. T6532. The MOBO is essentially an MS-7207G (K8NGM2)

System Summary
        Windows XP (32-bit)
        AMD Athlon 64 3500+
        1023 MB RAM
        NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS
        186GB HDD
        DVD-RW
        System Information
        System Name: TAXCHIC
        Operating System: Windows XP (32-bit)
        Motherboard Manufacturer:
        Motherboard Model: MS-7207G
        Motherboard Version: 100
        BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
        BIOS Version: 080012
        BIOS Release Date: 02/07/2006
        CPU Information
        Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
        Type: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
        Number of CPU's: 1
        Cores per CPU: 1
        Hyperthreading: Not capable
        Measured Speed: 2210.1 MHz
        L1 Instruction Cache: 1 x 64 KB
        L1 Data Cache: 1 x 64 KB
        L2 Cache Size: 1 x 512 KB
        L3 Cache: (N/A)
        Memory Information
        Total Physical Memory: 1023 MB RAM
        Available Physical Memory: 709 MB RAM
        Slot 1: DDR, 512MB, 400MHz
        Slot 2: Not populated
        Slot 3: DDR, 512MB, 400MHz
        Slot 4: Not populated
        Virtual Memory: C:\pagefile.sys (2046 MB)
        Disk Information
        Drive Letter (Number): C (Physical drive 0)
        Model Number: WDC WD2000BB-22GUC0
        Disk Size (Free space): 182.2 GBytes (73.4 GBytes)
        Disk Cluster Size: 4 KBytes
        File System: NTFS
        Drive Letter (Number): D (Physical drive 0)
        Model Number: WDC WD2000BB-22GUC0
        Disk Size (Free space): 4.1 GBytes (1.4 GBytes)
        Disk Cluster Size: 4 KBytes
        File System: FAT32
        Video Adapters
        Description: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS
        Chip Type: GeForce 7300 GS
        DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
        Memory: 512MB
        Video BIOS: Version 5.72.22.43.01
        Driver Provider: NVIDIA
        Driver Version: 8.3.2.1
        Driver Date: 12-19-2005
        Monitor 1: 1024x768x32 60Hz (Primary monitor)

Comment

Regarding bios settings and power management... when i disabled power management in the bios, i couldn't even get windows to boot. i turned it back on, but there is no option for max power saving, vs min power saving.

Comment

There is this post about common speed problems.
            But your results are really awful. I would imagine that the PC is close to unusable in this state.

Generally if the motherboard is bad, nothing works.

Also check that the heatsink is correctly attached. Maybe the CPU is overheating.

Also get the latest motherboard device drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by BikerDave View Post
              Regarding bios settings and power management... when i disabled power management in the bios, i couldn't even get windows to boot. i turned it back on, but there is no option for max power saving, vs min power saving.
              First use CPUZ because it will not lie and report the speed your CPU is intended to run at. It should report its true speed. If CPUz shows 2200 mhz when your PC is idle you do not have a bios setting wrong or windows power management setting that could cause the PC to be slower than it should be. If the CPU is running full speed something else is causing the problem.

Sorry I was not specific enough, I meant to say windows power management. right click your desktop choose properties, then screen saver, then power management. I can't remember for sure which scheme AMD uses to lower CPU speed when the CPU is idle. You will just have to try several schemes. BTW looking at your system specs your CPU seems to be running at full speed of 2210.1 MHz unless your CPU runs at a higher speed.

The bios adjustment is not called power management. It is the bus speed that could be set wrong though bus speed is not the term AMD uses on a K8 CPU, could be HT bus, CPU-LDT or similar. CPU speed is determined by the bus speed times the CPU multiplier. In your case if I guessed correctly 200x11= 2200 mhz.

Other possiblities. Missing drivers, have a look in device manager and make sure there are no unknown devices. Another possible reason for a slow PC can be caused by the hard drive not running in DMA mode. This can happen if the IDE or SATA cable or the hard drive it self has problems. This will not slow down video or CPU performance but it will make the PC neally unusable. What is the overall CPU mark score. The average looks to be 447. My old A64 3000+ CPU mark was 250.8.
              Main Box*AMD Ryzen 7 5800X*ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING*G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 TRZ RGB*Geforce GTX 1070Ti*Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB*Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB*Asus DRW-24B3LT*LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40*Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Drives running in Ultra DMA mode. No unknown or missing devices in Device Manager. Current benchmark is around 54. Here's a dump from CPUID:

Processor(s)Number of processors1Number of cores1 per processorNumber of threads1 per processorNameAMD Athlon 64 3500+Code NameVeniceSpecificationAMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+PackageSocket 939Family/Model/SteppingF.F.2Extended Family/ModelF.2FBrand ID4Core SteppingDH-E6Technology90 nmCore Speed2209.9 MHzMultiplier x Bus speed11.0 x 200.9 MHzHT Link speed401.8 MHzStock frequency2200 MHzInstruction setsMMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64L1 Data cache (per processor)64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeL1 Instruction cache (per processor)64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeL2 cache (per processor)512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeChipset & MemoryNorthbridgeNVIDIA GeForce 6100 rev. A2SouthbridgeNVIDIA nForce 410/430 MCP rev. A2Memory TypeDDRMemory Size3072 MBytesMemory Frequency200.9 MHz (CPU/11)CAS# Latency (tCL)3.0 clocksRAS# to CAS# (tRCD)3 clocksRAS# Precharge (tRP)3 clocksCycle Time (tRAS)8 clocksBank Cycle Time (tRC)11 clocksDRAM Idle Timer16 clocksCommand Rate (CR)2TSystemSystem ManufacturerGatewaySystem NameT6532System S/NGCD62A0004807Mainboard VendorTo be filled by O.E.M.Mainboard ModelMS-7207GBIOS VendorAmerican Megatrends Inc.BIOS Version080012BIOS Date02/07/2006Memory SPDModule 1DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 1024 MBytes, CorsairModule 2DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 1024 MBytes, CorsairModule 3DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, SamsungModule 4DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, SamsungSoftwareWindows VersionMicrosoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) DirectX Version9.0c

Comment

So we have eliminated several possibilities. As Passmark said it could be a CPU overheat condition causing the CPU to clock down under load to protect it self. Have you ever monitored CPU temp and frequency while the CPU is under load? How long has it been since the PC has been cleaned inside, heat sinks, fans etc. Fans working correctly? CoreTemp should work on your CPU to monitor temp if you do not already have a program that will. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
                  Does task manager show near 0 CPU usage at idle as it should? When the CPU is loaded does task manager show near 100% CPU usage as it should?

Other thoughts, Have you cleared the bios to see what happens? Slim chance but have you disconnected all non essential external devices. Only use a mouse and keyboard. Tried a different mouse and keyboard. Disconnect all non essential internal devices. Leaving only the CPU, Ram, Video and Hard disk drive. I once had a PC that became very slow and the CDrom drive was found to be the cause even though it worked fine otherwise. Does the clock keep time? Bios batteries getting weak have been known to cause some unexpected problems though a huge long shot in this case.

When you reloaded windows was it from a E-machine branded XP CD or a restore CD. If it is a restore CD have you changed any hardware such as video or sound that could have a conflict with drivers that are part of the restore CD?

I can't think of much else to try, hope you succeed.

Comment

It could be a heat issue. I checked it with lavalys, and then speedfan, before I even reinstalled the OS, and the CPU hovers between 55 and 61, which is definitely running warm, but I didn't think that was obscenely hot. I've removed the graphics card, and am using the VGA on the MOBO now, in case that was the issue, but it didn't make a difference. I've also yanked the BIOS battery, and reset the bios completely.

I'm going to probably try a new PSU tomorrow, to see if that could be it, and I will remove the rest of the internal peripherals after dinner today. I'd be super suprised if that was it. Removable internal devices are: DVD/CDRW, 7-in-1 card reader, USB front panel. I'd guess that chances of any of those causing a problem to be really really low.

I appreciate your help on this one. I've actually already ordered the parts to build her a new PC. x2 6400+ with 2GB 1066 RAM, an ASUS M3A78 Mobo with 2 250GB HD's to run in RAID 1. Not great performance with RAID 1, but she uses the PC for her home business. If I figure out this thing, I'll be sure to post what it is.

Comment

Just to revise that CPU temperature number, it's actually idling around 41C right now. That 60 was when I had the side of the case off, but now that the side of the case is on, and it's just sitting, it appears to be at a very reasonable level.

Comment

and, yes... i did the performance tests again with the side of the case on, and the CPU temps stayed reasonably low, and I still got the same miserable performance numbers. the PC is not compeltely "unusable", but I've had to disable AV, and if my wife tries to do any multi-tasking the pc just crawls.

Comment

I know you did a clean install, but still, did you check task manager to see if any other task is using the CPU in the background.

Comment

techically, I "restored" from the restore CD. I did go through and uninstall all the garbage that comes with the emachine (such as BigFix, AV, AOL, and about 3 other programs), and I went into services and disabled a lot of extraneous services. It didn't make much difference. I disabled hard disk swapping as well, since I boosted it up to 3GB of RAM to see if that would help: a small increase of 1 or 2 points.

So, I decided to eliminate the hard drive as a possibility and used a spare HD I had laying around. I couldn't even install windows normally. The HD got so hot during the install that the install locked up. I yanked the HD and put it on a cool metal cabinet to disipate the heat at quickly as possible. I hope I didn't smoke the HD. I tried a second HD, and had similar results.

I'm guessing the PSU to be the culprit, even though speedfan logs showed pretty regular voltage readings in the CPU. But, I still won't know until I can get to the store, and we just got a ton of snow dumped on us. Time to focus on the regular day job anyways. I'll work on it next weekend. I've hooked the wife up with my old 1.3Ghz Dell 600M with 512MB RAM, which, according to Performance Test, is over 5 times faster than this wonderful 2.2Ghz Athlon 3500+. Watching the graphics test was a blur compared to what I was going through on the 3500+. And that's with all her tax software installed and checking for updates in the background, Forticlient antivirus installed, as well as the massive HP print driving system that came with her all-in-one. Geeze, when will HP make a smaller footprint driver for their all-in-ones? I uploaded the Dell 600M's performance test, since I didn't see a similar one out there.

thanks again for all your help. When I get the new PSU, I'll post my findings.

thanks,

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X