Benchmarks 101, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarks 101, please

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post.

Although I have been around computers for almost 20 years, hardware as such has never been my main interest. I never needed the latest high priced processor nor have my gaming needs required a $600 video card.

Now, a few weeks ago I bought an Acer Aspire One netbook. It comes with an Atom N270, 1.60GHz processor and 1Gb of RAM. According to this site, the benchmarks for this processor are rather bad.

However, after buying the machine strictly for light computing tasks, I decided to test the little beast, somewhat. I, first, plugged in my Hauppauge USB TV Tuner stick and I was surprised to see that my recordings were just as good as on my Mac mini. I, then proceeded to install an mpeg editing software and was amazed to notice that it does the same job as my C2Duo 2.0 GHz Mac mini (T7200), in a comparable amount of time, even if the benchmarks for both machines are way different.

It's also much faster than my wife's Toshiba Intel M 1.73 GHz with 1.5Gb of RAM, which is also supposed to have better benchmarks.

Has Acer made a mistake and installed a Core2Duo in this machine without telling anyone or, is there an expert somewhere who can explain such a performance from my new "monster".

We also have Acer netbook here. They are super portable, but the performance isn't great.

The old Intel Pentium M is pretty awful as well however. And this older Toshiba machine probalby has slower RAM, a slower hard drive and has several years of accumlated software gunk on it.

As for the Mac mini, it should be signifcantly faster if you are doing tasks which are CPU heavy, this assumes the Mac and Windows software are equally efficient on both platforms.

Comment

Working...
    X