test sees 1 of my Dual Xeon CPU 2.0's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test sees 1 of my Dual Xeon CPU 2.0's

When I run the performance test it only shows one cpu, though I have 2. I have played with preferences but it still only sees and tests one processor. Any suggestions?

Are you running an O/S that supports more than 1 CPU?
    Does your BIOS support more than 1 CPU and is it set correctly.
    Are you sure you have 2 CPUs and not just a dual core CPU? Or a CPU with hyperthreading. As multiple cores and hyperthreading can appear like multiple CPUs in some tools.

Comment

In Task Manager under processors there are 2 processor windows. The OS see the two processors. The software sees one.

Comment

Dual core CPUs and CPU's with hyperthreading can (and do) appear as 2 CPUs in task manager and the O/S.

Comment

Two processors...

Thanks for the help. When the machine boots it initializes 2 processors. There are 2 processors with 2 heatsinks in the machine. Device manager sees 2 Intel XEON CPU 2.00GHz Processors.

Comment

What model Xeon are they? What version of PerformanceTest are you using? Maybe they are both dual core and one is not working due to BIOS settings or O/S?

What is being reported in PerformanceTest for, Number of CPUs, Cores per CPU and Hyperthreading capable?

Comment

Update

They are XEON 2.0GHz. Performance Test is 7.0. ! processor and 1 Core per CPU. Hyperthreading is enabled.

Comment

If hyperthreading is enabled, and you have 2 physical CPUs, then you should have 4 processor windows in task manager not 2. I think one of your CPUs isn't enabled.

Comment

Hmmm...

I think you are right. I turned off Hyperthreading and it shows only one processor. When the computer boots it initializes processor 0 and processor 1 but I seem to get only one processor. I will have to figure out what is going on.
                  This was a donated computer that I am trying to get up and running...just proves there is no such thing as FREE!

Thanks
                  Tom

Comment

Are you running an O/S that supports more than 1 CPU?

Comment

Thanks...

I have moved to another pc that has 2 2.4Ghz processors. The software shows 2 CPU's and Task Manager sees 4 (Hyperthreading enabled). So I think there is something wrong with the other machine. I do have an issue now that PT 7.0 shows N/A for L1 Data Cache, L2 Cache Size and L3 Cache. THe processors are Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz processors and they should have at least 512K Cache I believe.

Thanks again.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X