Native 64bit version of PerformanceTest now available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native 64bit version of PerformanceTest now available

PerformanceTest is now available as a native 64bit application.

The following operating systems are supported. Windows XP 64-bit and Windows 2003 server 64-bit. At the time of writing both of these O/S are only in beta release from Microsoft.

The following CPUs are supported. AMD64 and Intel Xeon 64bit CPUs.

The 64bit software on this page will NOT work with Windows XP 32bit, Windows 2000, Windows 98 nor 95. You need BOTH a 64bit CPU AND a 64 bit version of Windows to use this software

The 64bit download is available from this page.
    http://www.passmark.com/download/64bitsoftware.htm

Given that there is still only a rather limited selection of 64bit hardware and the operating system is in beta release, this release might not be as stable as the 32bit release of PerformanceTest.

Please let us know about any problems.

-------
    David
    PassMark

It's probably a driver issue but the DirectX windowed tests run very slowly. Perhaps half the normal FPS. The full screen tests give normal results. This is with Nvidia's Beta driver 66.96 and WinXP x64 build 1289.

Comment

Yes, I think it is becuase the Windows 64bit O/S, Direct X and the device drivers are still beta. There are most likely some functions for which hardware accelertion is not yet available.

I am expecting they will improve things for the final 64bit releases.

------
      David
      Passmark

Comment

Just to update the thread and let folks know MS hasn't gotten around to this issue yet.

DirectX windowed acceleration is still messed up in WinXPx64 interm build 1421 using Nvidia's 70.80 beta driver. The issue isn't specific to Performance Test.

Comment

driver

should we back up a version?

my simple and complex 3D test is horrible (i mean horrible) with a 6800GT.

the complex is running fine but nothing spectacular compared to the 32bit tests

thoughts?

Comment

While there are probably still problems with the device drivers we have also found a secondary problem.

In software coded to use DirectX 8, there was a default setting to allow 3D applications to run as fast as the harwdare would allow.

In software coded to use DirectX 9, Microsoft seems to have changed the default behaviour. 3D applications will now max out at a frame rate that is equal to the monitor refresh rate. Is a lot of cases this means the frame rate reported will be lower than before.

Windows 64bit does not support DirectX8 applications, so we changed the code to use DirectX9.

In the next release of 64bit PerformanceTest, we will fix this up and override the (new) DX9 default value to get back to the old DX8 behaviour.

----
            David

Comment

This is now corrected with the release of PerformanceTest 6.

----
              David

Comment

Re: Native 64bit version of PerformanceTest now available

The program crash in my system. I have Win XP x64 SP1 , and after I run it apears some info that it cannot do something, i press ok(the only option) and everything its ok. But after that i turn it off and try to run it again its crash with error.

Comment

Can you tell us what the error message was?

Are you running as the administrator?

What version of PerformanceTest are you using?

-------
                  David

Comment

Re: Native 64bit version of PerformanceTest now available

It shows me a warning that it cannot initialize the DirectIo.sys driver. And told me that this could hapen because: - The user don't have Administrator privileges, - The driver file is missing, - Performance test was started from network or floppy drive.
                    After that it still runs but if i close it and try to run it again it crash.
                    the version is 6 build 1010
                    yes, i have Administrator privileges
                    I run it from hdd, and I have no idea from where to get this driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X